Monday, 28 January 2013

Sewing with oilcloth

I thought I'd break up my quilting on the go posts with this little pencil case/purse I've made out of a tiny bit of Cath Kidston oilcloth I have. I find oilcloth a bit of a mare to sew with, but I'm happy with this one.
It was made for a friend, so hopefully she'll also like it. Sorry about the poor photographs - evening light just isn't the same as a beautiful sunny day, is it.

Friday, 25 January 2013

Quilting - part 3 - stitching the binding


So, this is what I was doing last night. It's so relaxing to be handstitching the binding, which, with the size of the quilt, is around 16 feet. Still some way to go, but at this time of year a warm quilt on your lap, and a wood stove, and it's bliss.

I've chosen to use a floral bias binding that I've had for a long time. It just seemed perfectly matched for the floral fabrics.

Thanks for all your comments - this one's nearly done, and I'll post a final, finished, picture!

Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Quilting as you go ... part 2



The quilt is coming along, and it has been fun. My one recommendation is to pin, pin, pin. It's very easy for the backing to slip. Also, quilting pins make it far easier - everyday dressmaking pins just aren't long enough or sharp enough. And, as you can see, the edges need trimming, so you need a rotary cutter and cutting mat... buy the largest mat you can, as you won't regret it.


I now need to think about the edge binding.


Friday, 18 January 2013

Adventures in quilting - quilting as you go Part 1


I've been having fun today putting together a little picnic or floor quilt, trying the quilt as you stitch method, which involves cutting strips, laying them on the batting and backing, and stitching, then ironing over each seam.


This is when the kitchen table needs to be cleared of everything, as I'm of an age where I can't work on the floor without feeling the consequences. It took pretty much all day to complete the top, as I had the children being sent home from school at various points, so ended up with a house full. And for some reason, I work better when I have the house to myself. I wonder if that's common?


I'll post a picture as I progress, but I've pretty much got to the point where I just have to decide on the edging, and it'll be done. I'm happy with it, but had to unpick a couple of times. I'm so pleased I have a walking foot for my machine, but I still get a little impatient sometimes and try to run the machine too fast, which doesn't work with my machine.

The finished hand painted shoes


Following on from my last post, this is how the shoes turned out - a night sky scene. They worked really well, especially as this was her first attempt. I've ordered a pair! :)

Tuesday, 15 January 2013

How to paint a shoe - fun crafts with kids


So, following on from my last post, the same daughter decided she wanted to decorate a pair of shoes. We found some cheap canvas shoes in the sales, collected all the acrylics and fabric paints we have lying around, and she got going. She taped around the sole, and has nearly finished.


She's working on making a night sky with stars - so I'll post a finished picture when it's done. But this is such an easy and fun activity. She used make up sponges to dab the paint on and mix it to the colour she wanted. The shoes were just £3!

Sunday, 13 January 2013

Making of a papier mache head


I just had to show you what my 14 year old made, as I thought it was really good - in the way you do, when it's your child :) This started because we'd started fashioning a vase out of chicken wire, meaning to make it into a papier mache disaster. It's turned out a lot more fun. She covered the wire with newspaper, soaked in pva, then created teeth and fashioned the features from kitchen roll.


Then came the painting in skin tones. It's supposed to be a particular, red-headed singer, but I can't remember which one!


She drew in the eyebrows and eyes.


And added hair.


Sadly, it's now gone to a friend... I so wanted to keep this one.