Thursday, 14 February 2013

Recovering a mannequin - Part 1


So, it's time for another mannequin makeover. This is one I've had for sometime. I love the shape and the stand - it's a metal stand, though you can't really see it here, but it's had a horrible stretch silver fabric.

I had to take off lots of tacks, which were holding the fabric cover in place:

Then it was easy to remove the cover, which I reversed and used as a pattern...
I'd chosen a stretch jersey, with a pretty red flower on cream design. I folded it, smoothed it out and pinned in place
and cut, then sewed around it.
I'll be back with more pictures as the light is pretty awful at the moment, but I'm so pleased with the way it's working out.

2 comments:

char said...

I can't believe I've never thought of recovering my mannequin. I picked it up from a shop which was closing down, when a friend who worked there tipped me off. It's just such a boring cream colour and I really should recover it! :)

Primroses Attic said...

I have always wanted a mannequin. But the vintage ones are always very battered , what a great idea. Looking forward to the end result.
Rosezeeta.