Friday, 18 January 2013

Adventures in quilting - quilting as you go Part 1


I've been having fun today putting together a little picnic or floor quilt, trying the quilt as you stitch method, which involves cutting strips, laying them on the batting and backing, and stitching, then ironing over each seam.


This is when the kitchen table needs to be cleared of everything, as I'm of an age where I can't work on the floor without feeling the consequences. It took pretty much all day to complete the top, as I had the children being sent home from school at various points, so ended up with a house full. And for some reason, I work better when I have the house to myself. I wonder if that's common?


I'll post a picture as I progress, but I've pretty much got to the point where I just have to decide on the edging, and it'll be done. I'm happy with it, but had to unpick a couple of times. I'm so pleased I have a walking foot for my machine, but I still get a little impatient sometimes and try to run the machine too fast, which doesn't work with my machine.

5 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

I've been itching to try this, so will wait with bated breath to see what you think of your result....hahaa!

Lalabibaby @ Dreaming of The Simple Life said...

Can't wait to see the end result .... what sort of batting do you use? I've found the bamboo mix great for this type of quilting. xx

Primroses Attic said...

I love the floral material. Will pop back to see finished quilt.
Rosezeeta

Primroses Attic said...

I love the floral material. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.
Rosezeeta.

Lace hearts said...

Thanks all. I use a Pellon, polyester batting. Yet to try the bamboo mix, but will have to now. :) xx