Tuesday, 17 July 2012

NOVICA - a review of my pretty bracelet


What's in the cute packet? I'm so thrilled, because it's ever so pretty. I do receive quite a few offers to review items on my blog, and I most often say no. I just don't have the time, and sometimes I don't like what's on offer, but I positively jumped when NOVICA contacted me and asked if I'd like to choose an item - initially because of the National Geographic tag.



Novica is run in association with National Geographic, who I've always had a soft spot for. I have a huge collection of National Geographic magazines. Their pictures and features are always fascinating, and I've learnt a lot through the magazines. So I was intrigued by Novica, partly because I hadn't heard of them despite having a good knowledge of National Geographic. It turns out that Novica support crafts people in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, and they do it fantastically well. Their website is fabulous for a browse alone. You learn about each artisan, and there's plenty of videos. I was contacted way back, and have spent months browsing and choosing, as I enjoyed that part of it so much. In fact, I almost met the expiry date on my offer, I'd enjoyed the browsing so much!

In the end, I chose a piece of jewellery, a silver and gem charm bracelet, which I fell in love with.


It arrived yesterday, and is absolutely beautiful. Frankly the pictures on this one didn't do it justice, and I'm thinking I'll probably end up buying the matching earrings when they appear on the site. This is the one I chose: opal charm bracelet


I deliberately chose to narrow my search to artisans in the Andes, as I live in the UK and postage rates are significantly cheaper from there for some reason. (If you live in the States, the temptation to use Novica would be amazing as the postage rates are kept incredibly low.) Another factor to remember, which doesn't happen in the UK, is tax is added at point of sale. Here, we pay the price we see, but prices on the Novica site, like in the US, are exclusive of sales tax. I'm just mentioning this, as it's worth bearing in mind if you are working to a budget. But if you like to shop online, and plenty of us do, and bear these points in mind, this is a lovely site.

Each gift comes beautifully wrapped, with a postcard and mini information booklet. It's a lovely touch. I'm honestly delighted. Thank you NOVICA!


Disclosure: I received the bracelet shown, but the review, my feedback, and the words are my own.

4 comments:

Elizabethd said...

It's beautiful. I'm tempted to go off and look at their site , right now!

knitandmake.blogspot.com said...

Very nice bracelet.

Maria said...

Hiya Caroline,
Your bracelet is lovely and I feel I will view the site, as I like the concept of 'the fair trade' type of sale..
Have a week of loveliness!
love Maria x

Leo said...

Hey Caroline,
I just wanted to let you know that the village blocks arrived safely and thanks again for the extra trouble!
Now I just need to figure out how to assemble the blocks. Thanks for organising the swap!