Saturday, 9 June 2012

How to make fabric puffs / fabric yo-yos tutorial


I've made a few fabric yo-yos for my lovely blogging friend, Beki here, and two other online friends - A, who hasn't a blog, but you know who you are! and P at the fabulous Painting New Memories - have asked what they are, so I thought I'd put together a quick tutorial, as they are so easy and quick to make up. I think they thought I was trying to make a toy yo-yo from fabric (that's set me thinking, mind). But these aren't toys. They are also known as fabric puffs, and Suffolk puffs, and have been around for a long, long time.

First you need a circle of fabric. Use anything. I've used a favourite wine glass. There's a story about this wine glass, but I won't get distracted. :) Your finished yo-yo will end up roughly half the size of the original circle, so if you want 1 1/2 inch yo-yos, use a 3 inch circle.


Draw around it with pencil, biro, whatever - felt pen's not really ideal though as could bleed into the cotton. Then cut out your circle.


Now knot a long thread, and turn over a scant 1/4 inch hem. You need to hem around the edge.


Use running stitches. Doesn't have to be exact. All you need to remember is, if you make the stitches longer, the centre of your yo-yo will be tighter. If you want open centres, make the stitches smaller.


I've used big here.


Once you've gone all around the edge, and created a tiny hem, draw up the thread tight and secure with a couple of stitches. Then flatten out the puff, easing the drawn bit into the centre.


And voila. They are cute, and useful for decorating all sorts of things.


These are Beki's, and I can't wait to see how she's going to use them. I hope the tute's been useful for some. I admire people who have managed to make a quilt sized cover out of them. There's some fascinating information about them here. Take a look at the picture of the quilt on that link!



9 comments:

patchworkandlace said...

They are very sweet ,love your pictures of the river peagant and the races and your nails look fab xx

Beki said...

Great tutorial hun and you make it look so simple BUT I just don't get on with them so thank you so much.............mwah xx

Marina said...

Hello!! Thank you for your lovely comment, and great to hear that you have enjoyed the CK Teepee - sadly the weather has prevented us from trying it out yet - but, something to look forward to very soon hopefully! Yes of course you are very welcome to join my Giveaway..all you need to do is become a follower of my blog, on the right-hand side bar, Marina x

Highland Monkey's said...

Thanks for taking the trouble to post the tutorial. I've never done these before. Another thing to add to the ever expanding to-do list!

Maria said...

Hello!
Loved the post about the river peagant...
How wonderful you were there!
Thank you for showing us the fabric puffs,as I have some lovely fat quaters of vintage material,I may just have a gooo!
Have a happy week!
Maria x

MelMel said...

Top tute....cheers for the lovely comments Lacey....xxx

Lajoni said...

Ahhh now I know what they are....didn't realise they were called yoyos lol...couldn't quite get my head round that .....great post ..loved your jubilee pics fab!!

Maria said...

Hello,
You are the lucky winner of my vintage ladies lovely book Caroline...
When you have a moment please let me know via email your address and I will pop in the post to you!
Wishing you a Friday full of happiness...
Maria @ Rosey tinted spectacles blog..

dancingonabladeofgrass said...

I remember seeing some quilts on display in a museum in Utah - they were all made from these yo-yo puffs... amazing.