Monday, 28 May 2012

An Abakhan challenge: under £15 for a bag + skirt


I love a challenge, and so I jumped at the chance to sign up for a challenge Abakhan put out recently, to spend a limited amount in their lovely shop, and make something. I decided to choose a simple bag pattern and some contrasting fabric. So I chose (and they kindly supplied):


The fabric is gorgeous - a fine cord, with a striking pattern, and they have it in three colourways. I chose a metre each of blue and yellow. The pattern - this one - was easy to follow. A total spend of £14.21 on those three. I made one of the bags, and love it. I did have to add some small bits and pieces, but they were from my stash, so nothing very pricey, so I feel I kept well within budget as I have quite a bit of the blue fabric left.



The cord is thick, so didn't need interfacing, but I did use some of my wadding to give it a padded effect. I could have lined with the cord, but I chose a piece of my own fabric as a contrast, a pink. It fastens with velcro. I also added a thick interfacing to the handle from my own stash.


I then made a skirt, a simple reversible wrap skirt.


I chose a lining from my stash, and added a ribbon. Here's the reverse.


I've still got to make something else from the remaining fabric. But I'm so pleased to have taken a part in the challenge. Part of the fun was putting my own stamp on the bag, with the patchwork front (scraps of fabrics I've loved over the years, but bringing in elements of the cord):


I've long liked Abakhan - for me, they have a good selection of fabric goodies and general haberdashery, but they have other things for the home as well. Definitely worth a browse. But thank you for letting me take part.

3 comments:

Highland Monkey's said...

The fabric is gooorgeouuss. It's great that you can still make lovely things on a budget.

Vintage from the Village said...

Hi Thanks for the comment. I am really behind with my Ebay even though I am sitting here surrounded by piles of things to list ! Also behind with the blogging.
Back asap I hope !
Love your makes
Sue x

Gem said...

Such lovely fabrics and I really like what you have done with them :) I love Abakhan, always try and get a trip there when I go home to Manchester xxx