To go over the basic rules (sorry, hate that word, but think we do need it laid out):
- There are six people, so each of us needs to produce six blocks, each member having a theme, as outlined below so we each end up with six different blocks. Easy peasy. :)
- If you have a blog, I'll link below, but we can use Twitter. If you're not happy to upload to Twitter, email your pictures to me and I'll upload - I'd love to post progress pictures in a Twitter group. I'm setting that up today.
- Please, all blocks to be with me by 31st May. If you cannot complete, or you want to drop out, please let me know so we can sort out something. Assuming you all stay in (I certainly hope so as you are all so fab) I will then ensure that you are all sent six contrasting blocks. You will then choose a way of putting the blocks together as a wallhanging. Or I guess, you may choose to make six cushions... I really don't want hard and fast rules here. :) But I do want pictures!
- All blocks to be 12 x 12 inches.It's easy to square up blocks with a border, so don't worry about this bit, but I think it's easier if they are all the same finished size. Sorry if I'm teaching grans to suck eggs here. I get the feeling you all are way more advanced than me anyway.
- No colour restrictions - I'm making churches, and I'm choosing a text print as a roof on all the churches, but that's my choice. It's up to you what you do. The point is that we make our own blocks, but they fit together as a village would, so I can't see that colour is an issue.
- I'm embellishing with buttons/applique/ribbon. It's again entirely up to you if you want to do this, or just make a block. I'm embellishing as I see this as a wallhanging not a quilt to lie over a bed, but I'll ensure it's all firmly attached. I have to say, the embellishing is becoming a little addictive though.
- To be clear, we are just creating block tops, not quilting, not wadding... just tops (so, backs will be messy with threads!). The recipient then finds a way to put the blocks they receive together. They may add fillets inbetween each block, for example.
Ellie will be doing houses
Lala will be doing shops
I'm doing churches :)
Cartier is doing cottages
And we have a wonderful new member: Mel at The Handcrafted Home who has chosen Vintage Second Hand Shop - sounds wonderful, Mel, and welcome!
We have someone doing barns
Please, don't worry. This is about fun, and sharing a journey together. I've said repeatedly, I AM A BEGINNER and I'm probably more nervous than anyone else about letting you all down. I'll do my best with my blocks, but please don't expect perfection.
Now, I'm off to try and sort out a Twitter group. I've not done this before, so wish me luck.
Okay, this should be the Flickr group - http://www.flickr.com/groups/1862464@N25/
It's called 'Quilting - Village block swap'. Do join. :)