Sunday, 19 February 2012

A quilting bee ... sort of ... anyone interested?


As you know if you read my blog regularly, I've become more and more interested in taking the plunge and beginning to do my own quilting. There's been a long path to this. But I'd love to share it with others and I'd really love to organise a swap, which it seems is really popular in quilting circles. I'm not confident enough yet to approach real quilters (whatever they look like :) ), but I'd love to do something along the lines of an American quilting bee. I got this idea from a library book about just that - 12 women who produced 12 quilts together over the course of a year, despite living hundreds of miles apart.

The thought of a quilt is too frightening for me at the moment, I think. But I thought a nine-piece wall hanging may work. Especially if it's on the theme of what I've been making... houses.


These houses are wonky because I made them very quickly, and just freehand - without patterns, but it was while I was having fun with them that I thought a mini quilting swap may be nice. My idea is if I could get a group of nine of us, we'd each produce nine houses, or schoolhouses - each to the same end 12 inches square. Then, all would be mailed to me, I'd divide them into nine and mail them out again. I would ask that return postage is included when the nine are sent, maybe through a pre-stamped envelope.

I could take a look and decide on houses patterns - there's a lot of tutes and free patterns out there for houses. So each person would make the same pattern, and the end result would be a collection of nine different houses. I think it would be pretty special. I hope a few of you agree.

I'd set up a Flickr group so we could all keep in touch over progress. I think it would be a lot of fun. I'd set a 3 month time frame. I'd love to go on a journey, and develop my basic skills with others on the same journey, and I think we'd all learn a lot. So there's many reasons I want to do this, despite not really having the time. But honestly, the houses come together so quickly, and I'm happy to organise.

So... is anybody out there interested/willing to sign up?

1 comment:

Lalabibaby @ Dreaming of The Simple Life said...

I'm up for it Lacey .... sounds like a great idea and something I haven't tried before. xx