Friday, 7 October 2011

The birth of a birthday cake! Yay!


It's that time of year again. As people who follow me know, I love making cakes for my three and always have done. When they were younger, it was easy and I had a free rein. Now they have Opinions and are very clear about what They Want and more especially what they Do Not Want. This year...

"Okay, what do you want?"
"Um, dunno."
"Something more grown up?"
"Um."
A few more days of this (teenage speak can be very tedious and is never enlightening at the best of times) and we managed to find a picture online that she fell in love with (it had four tiers, mind you. "S-ok, I don'twantfouryoucandometwo") ;-)

However, it had painted sides and I'm no artist. I think I got a U in GCSE Art! Anyway, I got going yesterday and the cake developed today, with the lappy close beside me with the picture of the finished cake I trying to use for inspiration.

I started with

Then popped them together and covered them in a sky blue icing...


The next step was to ice the board with a grassy green and create a river bordered with icing pebbles (hard to stop little hands from eating these and reminded me of the tiles on my troll cake shown in my side bar and at the bottom of the post here, though didn't take as long!).


Painting the mountains wasn't as hard as I'd thought, but it's not brilliant. But she's happy.


The figure on top represents the birthday girl.
"But mum, you've given me a pot belly"
"It's icing, there's not much I can do"
"But..."
"I've squashed it in, see"
She loves reading so the book was very appropriate. The bees have appeared on every cake since they were first made several years back. The beauty of modelling paste is it never seems to get damaged.


The trees were an easy bit.


All ready for the party tomorrow, when it will be heartily demolished. Yum! Actually, I need to add some butterflies first. And some candles. Happy birthday sweetheart! x

8 comments:

dancingonabladeofgrass said...

That's brilliant! Well done you.

Lajoni said...

That cake is absolutely wonderful...I love looking at your cakes, your so blimmin talented, and the artwork is great, you seem to be adept at so many crafts...well done ..I bet she was delighted xx

maypole said...

Do you know, I had forgotten about your marvellous cake making skills. That is just fantastic.

Lalabibaby @ Dreaming of The Simple Life said...

Ooh yummy scrummy .... love the little tiggy winkles xx

Sue at Dollytub Cottage said...

What a beautiful cake! I didn't pass my Art either. Maybe we were late-creaters.
SueXXX

B............... said...

It's my birthday in a few weeks, any chance of you making mine ;o)
It's gorgeous lovely!

B xxx

Elizabethd said...

So sweet! You are very imaginative.

LoloDesigns said...

What a lovely fun cake, you are so clever. Lolo xx