Saturday, 24 September 2011

Is it just me?

My daughter's class at school are steadily getting their nails done. I don't mean having fun at home. I mean going to a salon and paying around £30 a pop to get acrylics. Apparently around a third have done it. Now, I've had acrylics done once, and they looked lovely, but if you want to keep them looking lovely you have to go back regularly and pay to maintain them. I couldn't afford it, and I hated what it did to my own nails. I'd rather maintain my own nails for free. I have no problem with friends who have it done - as I say, I think it looks lovely for special occasions. But 12 and 13 year olds? Why do they need it, and how the heck are their parents funding it? I certainly can't.

I was pretty speechless when she asked if she could join in. You can guess my answer! Funnily enough, after an initial rant, I really don't think she is that bothered. But it did get me thinking about how much things have changed since I was growing up - we wouldn't have been allowed a scrap of varnish on our fingernails at school.

Have you found similar with the endless requests from teenagers... Or am I out on a lonely  limb here?

5 comments:

Elizabethd said...

As my grandma used to say...children are growing up too quickly these days'. And that was probably because I wanted to wear a tiny bit of pink lipstick at age 17!!

B............... said...

Hallelulah.............someone else who thinks the same as Me.
As you know Jess is the same age so I know exactly where you're coming from.
Why can't they enjoy just being kids for a little while longer!

B xxx

patchworkandlace said...

Hi ,luckily i dont have that problem just yet my daughters school is fairly srict so they wouldnt allow these nails , which do look nice but soo expensive i couldnt afford to have them done myself,the problem is when one person has them done everyone wants the same its very difficult but stand your ground

maypole said...

I agree! No make up and stuff should be allowed at school. Children do grow up so quickly and some don't want to, they just feel the need to fit in. How sad.

Lace hearts said...

It's very hard - with the makeup, you say no, and they all chuck it on on the bus or in the loos once at school. I do wish the school would say no to the nails though.