Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Germany and cucumbers and the worries of a mum!



This lovely cucumber recipe is here. We love salads in our house. At least, 3 out of the five of us do, the other two will happily munch on lettuce and the odd tomato. However, my middle one loves all things salad.

This was a bit of a worry last week when she was on a school trip in Germany and the E.coli scare broke, as I knew out of all the kids there, she would be the one eating all the salads. But I kept these worries firmly under wraps. It's one of the things you have to learn to do, as a mum. All the time, it seems to me. :-)

Anyway, the conversation shortly after she got home went something like this:

Her: Mum, they just said on the news that people travelling in Germany should be avoiding cucumbers, tomatoes, and lettuce.
Me: Yes, that's what they've been saying [later that night, they identified the source as beansprouts]. So, did they tell you that in Germany?
Her: No, they said it was all a load of nonsense and all made up. I didn't know people had died. That's scary. But I was eating everyone's salads because none of my friends liked salads.
Me: I thought you might be. What did you eat last night?
Well, last night we didn't have salad, but the night before I ate everyone's tomato and mozarella side salads because they were yummy and nobody wanted theirs.
Me: [Sigh.] How many did you eat?
Her: Five! Do you think I'll be okay.
Me: If anything was going to happen, believe me, it would have happened by now.

Needless to say, I was very reassured to have her back. Life as a parent is endlessly worrisome! :-)

1 comment:

VintageVicki said...

I can understand why you were so worried - I think all Mums would be the same.

Isn't it great having teens who'll eat salad - my 2 boys love the stuff :)