Friday, 7 May 2010

Adventures in quilting - Quirky quilts


I've always loved house quilts. And it's long been in my mind that when I quilt, my first proper quilt will be a house quilt. So I've started on a quilt top. I've tried plain walls...


and dots and paisleys...


and all sorts of fabrics...


and I'm really pleased with how they look together.


I've got quite a few more to do. But in the meantime I popped into a shop a couple of days ago I never go in usually and found this:


I flicked through quickly and saw a feature on making a quilt showing your own house, something I've also long wanted to do when I feel competent enough...


When I got the book home, I opened it properly, and it's dedicated to me and signed by the author, Dorothy Stapleton. Seriously. It has my name inside... and says 'Happy quilting' and the author's name. I guess it's meant to be. But I did a double take.... 'How did she know I needed this book?' Her style of writing is brilliantly funny and I love it. Funnily enough, she lives not too far from me. I have no idea of names in the quilting world, but I love her work.

Until I finish my quilt, I have to make do with the bought American quilt I have, which I love and into which a lot of work has gone, though it was a shop make. But looking at it, I'm convinced parts have been hand quilted. It's a schoolhouse quilt pattern... I'll do this one day as well.


What I love about this one is that the houses are all pretty different - each with a different print. Quilting opens up a whole world of adventures and possibilities. Please do leave a comment if you have the time. I'd love to know what you think, and if you have quilted I'd love to look at what you've done.

Now, I'm trying also to finish another stash buster project... more to follow very soon.

9 comments:

Serenata said...

Gosh you have been busy. I am really liking your quilt. I would like to make one as well...keep thinking about it and have a fair few books to give inspiration! Just waiting for this lurgy to disappear.

maypole said...

Amazing Lacey, somethings seem meant to happen.

Lovely quilt too.

sparkle bug said...

Lacey your quilt is really lovely, well done hun, wish i was that crafty clever xx

Lalabibaby said...

Your quilt is looking great Lacey .... it's great fun playing around with blocks to get the right effect .... I'm starting on a cotbed quilt tomorrow and I'm getting some inspiration from a book called Kid's Quilts in a Weekend by Elizabeth Keevill. Have a lovely weekend and happy destashing x

claire said...

i love the houses - looks fab xxxx

Elaine said...

It's going to be stunning, absolutely lovely.
Well done !!!

Love and blessings
xxxxxxxxxxxx

CraftySmiles said...

WOW!!! Really nice work. I love it.
I am working on one too now-will see how it will come out : )

silverpebble said...

Oh I adore these little house blocks - just gorgeous! I am very excited to see the finished quilt.

Goosey said...

I love Dorothy Stapleton's stuff. I once went to one of her talks at a quilt show, she is so enthusiatic!
The quilt is lovely, thats alot of work.