Friday, 30 April 2010

Fabric obsession - that first cut


I will let you know in my next post whether this worked or not! It's in the oven at the moment. I wanted a heart cake for tonight, but only used 2 oz of flour, etc so it turned out a bit small... We'll see. I'd bought the tin today, as £1.99 seemed too good to leave it in the shop.

I wanted to talk a little about my fabric obsession, because I fear it's getting out of control. I know it's a common problem, but I don't know what to do about it. I am having to rein myself in tightly at the moment, because of funds, but it means I'm rediscovering my stash and I unearthed this gorgeous fabric, and of course decided to try a heart...


which soon became two hearts...


you get the idea. It's a beautiful thick linen mix. Absolutely lushness through and through. And all mine. : )


Another fabric I love and dug out - see the creases?! This one was stored so badly, and I feel cross with myself, but nothing a good iron hasn't fixed. I've left these stored simply because they are so difficult to cut into. It actually physically hurt to cut into them. But I managed it:


And I have to say, I'm rather pleased.


I've made some mini scatter cushions, with those and other stored fabric. Cough cough. And they are pretty.


The more you cut, the easier it gets. I'll keep practising.

Now, the ducks. I just had to show you our ducks.


They were so funny the other morning. The mallard drake is interested in the female. But the Chinese mallard (at least, I think he's a Chinese mallard) is having none of it, despite the fact he's pint-sized compared to the drake.


He got quite agressive. And the drake got nowhere!


Just had to include those pics!

Right, I'll go and see what a disaster is unfolding in the oven. Thanks so much for popping by.

12 comments:

bekimarie said...

Love those fabrics hun, tis good to re-discover ;)
Hope the cake turns out well.
Have a great weekend

Beki xxx

Vintage from the Village said...

Oh I love ducks ! There used to be some beside the river in the town (sorry I mean village) where we live , they used to wander around outside the leisure centre ! but they have disapeared for some reason? Hope they didnt go too near the takeaway !!
Sue x

Lululiz said...

You are right, those fabrics are gorgeous. And you are most definitely not the only one who finds it difficult to cut into the stashed stuff. I just keep collecting my vintage fabrics, and even though I do use some, I probably add more than I use up, lol.

Deborah said...

Lovely fabrics! Your hearts turned out nice, hope your cake does too! Im just having coffee, in the middle of decorating and now you have made me want to bake a cake! Maybe this evening....unless you want pop over with a slice lol
x

Serenata said...

Oh making those first cuts are always traumatic! Love the first lot of material and the hearts you made with it.

Josie said...

lovely fabric,I know what you mean , the fabric on the sheet and pillowcases , I just HAD to have it! hope the cake turned out okay
Josie x

Lyn said...

Oh dear , he looks so dejected in the last photo!
Made me giggle though!
Love
Lyn
xxx

Entre Nous said...

What a find in the stash! I've never seen a print like that, sort of like rubber stamping meets fabric, hmmm, sound like an idea....

LissyLou said...

The first cut is hard, i must admit...love the fabric on those hearts though!!

angel said...

Mingin..........

Nuffin to see here, tis all mingin...

I love the idea of loads of heart scatter cushions..... you clever ickle fingy you!

Wish i had you living near me..:(

If you did, i could steal all your stuff and keep it all to myself, though you would not be allowed in to my house! cos you might nick it back....... that would be no good.... could i have my own key?

Loads of love and snoglets, hope you get betterererer soon. :)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

angel said...

Ps, i hope he gets his leg over soon..... bless him.. ;)

Lajoni said...

What a lovely post and those fabrics are just gorgeous...would you consider using them for commisions or not...I would fully understand if the answer is no xx