Sunday, 28 February 2010

A tudor costume fit for a king?!

"Mummy."
"Yep."
"Could you make me a costume for my tudor banquet?"
"Um. I think that might be a bit beyond me, sweets."
"But you do sewing all the time!"
"But I've never successfully made an outfit. Unless you count a sheet thrown over you for Halloween."
"Yeah. See. That was great. Pleeeeeeasse!"
Silent sigh. "Let's go to the library and see what we can find."
"Fab. Yay. I wanna be Henry the VIII!"
Silent gulp.

So went the conversation in the Lace household a couple of weeks ago. Double gulp when we got the book and the 9 year old chose his costume.

 

He really did want to be Henry VIII. But I have to say, it's coming together much easier than I thought. And this coming from someone who just doesn't make clothes. Of course, it's not proper clothes. And it's all felt, which helps a lot. But all the same, so far, I can't say I've been stuck and actually I'm quite glad he pushed me into it. Bless him. He chose the colours for the felt, and we cut the trousers first. Hubs kindly cut the paper pattern pieces, which was beyond me. Partly because they were tiny in the book.


The trousers were a bit of a laughing point at first.


They looked too big for said 9 year old. Though he loved trying them...


They were even too big for hubs! But after gathering, I think they work.

 

I've been working on the jacket and sleeves today, which needed slashing and cotton sewing behind to pull through. I also decided to line them, and use little left over gems instead of pasta. Pasta was suggested by the book, but I thought it would just end up falling off.


And the sleeves are working as well. I've surprised myself, believe me.



I'll let you know how it comes together. I need to find some cheap red velvet type material for the cloak and armbands.  And soft blue/grey woollen tights aren't proving easy to come across at this time of year, either. He may have to go with the bare legged approach!

14 comments:

mitmot said...

ohhhh CTC gave me some red velvet like material last week. It has a firmish backing but i think it would work for you - how many metres do you need??????

love the costume by the way :-)

Floss said...

Absolutely brilliant! I made a knight costume years ago and I know what fun it is (it's been recyled to become Prince Edmund of Narnia and a medieval archer over the years). The slashing on your sleeves is just fantastic. Much more impressive than my knight.

Attila said...

I got some grey woolyish tights in Asda this winter; in the ladies' section, but maybe (if any are left) you could shorten them at the toes. Sorry, can't offer to send you any; mine are med/lge!!

MelMel said...

Wow....Lacey...they are flippng brill!
Very Henry!xxx

Elizabethd said...

Brilliant! He has chosen just about the most difficult costume to make!
What about using dark blue tights, wouldnt that look just as good? I'm sure Henry wore them...sometime!

Lululiz said...

Wow, you certainly have your work cut out there. Looking fabulous so far. I am really looking forward to seeing him all dressed up in full costume.

Lyn said...

Look forward to seeing the finished outfit, well done!
Love
Lyn
xxx

made with love said...

Wow, that looks amazing. Well done.
Have you tried Asda for your tights. I thought I had seen some the other day.
Can't wait to see it finished,
Rachael XX

Viki Vintage said...

wow - I wouldnt have a clue where to start. Great job so far. There are still grey tights at my local asda (girls) happy to send them to you x

Thecraftytrundler said...

Well done there!! You won't be selling similar outfits in your blog shop. will you?! lol!!!
Seriously though, what a great family effort!

Sharon xx

Josie-Mary said...

Looking great....well done :)

charl said...

we were always giveing our mum last minute school costume nightmares .. i dont know how she did it but she always pulled somthing fantastic out of the bag.. and so have you missy..that costume looks like its going to be amazing.. you're so clever!!

MelMel said...

How did it all look once finished??
xxxx

A Thrifty Mrs said...

Oooh wow! So excellent. Great work Lacey.