Thursday, 21 January 2010

String quilt Teapot cosy and purse and covering buttons



Cup of tea, anyone? ;-) I've been busy with my stringing, and I hope I'm not becoming a string bore, so I won't hark on and on, but I'm thrilled with my teapot cover. I've also completed my first zipped project, which caused me no end of problems, but which my daughter absolutely loves. So it was (almost) worth it.




She'd actually made the string block for this one, so it's pretty much her own make - I just made it up for her. So I'm counting it as my third string project! But maybe it ought to be 2 1/2!

I've also got a lot of pleasure this week from covering buttons with some of my favourite fabrics. I've left long threads on them so I can attach them to hearts and bags and all sorts of ideas I have for them. But for now, I'm just enjoying looking at them.



It's very simple to cover buttons, and very quick to do. My sort of project!



The other rather lovely part of it is that I've been sitting quietly sewing each evening, and it inspired my daughter to get out her sewing kit as well, and she's now busy making something. Though I'm not allowed to know what it is!

Like everyone else, we've been so shocked by the images from Haiti this week. My son went off to school this morning in his hat... they are doing a hats for Haiti day, and hopefully raising lots of funds. It's heartwarming how many schools are doing what they can. I know I'm like everyone in wishing things speed up quickly with aid and help reaching the people who most need it. My prayers this week have been very much with Haiti, and I just wanted to mention it in my post.

16 comments:

Stephanie said...

Love your tea cozy and ALL things tea! Terrific zippy pouch too. I get hives around zippers. :o)

Sal said...

I love your tea cosy! I must have a go at the string patchwork!! Everyone is talking about it!!
;-)

MelMel said...

Lovely tea cosy Lacey...very pretty purse too!xx

LittleGem said...

It looks brilliant Lacey, love the teacosy. Your daughters purse it great too - and well done for tackling the zip :) xx

charl said...

oo i love your tcosy.. and the covered buttons are sooo sweet.. you are v clever.. !!

charl
x

Lalabibaby said...

That Tea Cosy is fantastic Lacey and like you I have a zip phobia. I just can't imagine the hell it must be in Haiti at the moment and how marvellous that little boy was pulled from the rubble after 8 days ... I think it should be compulsory viewing for every child when they start whingeing about they don't like this, don't like that, don't want this and don't want that ...... and of course the old favourite it's not fair!

Serenata said...

Wonderful tea cozy - but then anything to do with tea and sewing has got to be good ;-)

Well done on the zippered pouchy and your DD part in it as well. How lovely that you can sit together and sew.

DS2 has a mufti day tomorrow to raise funds.

Elizabethd said...

Gorgeous buttons. Your string quilting looks most professional.

Lululiz said...

Oooh, the buttons look fabulous, how on earth did you do that, they look so neat! And the tea cosy, well, anybody would be proud to display that in their kitchen, great stuff.

Mary Poppins said...

You are not a hopeless Blogger silly, I can't keep track of what everyone is up to from one day to the next ;) I adore your cosy and the buttons are so sweet and pretty and lovely fabrics you have chosen. I am enjoying seeing everyone's stringy creations :)

Well yes that is the idea I am going to be making a little curtain to hide the washing machine in our soon to be newly refurbished kitchen and wanted to have a little blogland love come on in to my home, I was very nervous about asking though, hence my little plea for one little square to help make up my curtain. Everyone has been so kind, thank you very much for the offer, it would make me very happy if you wanted to be part of my new kitchen.

I shall pop you on my thank you list :)

Hugs

X

A Thrifty Mrs said...

Love your makes!

solomi558 said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my T,cosy . I love it, and your pics,. are great, love your cosy, I shall be doing more browsing---cottonreel-----------help yourself to fish , I want Maukie the black cat that purrs but as yet I haven,t managed to get it to go on my blog

Thecraftytrundler said...

Love your string patchwork makes, they're so pretty. Great to see that DD is getting crafty too!
Love the buttons too. More lovely inspiration from the Laceys!!

Sharon xx

Sarah said...

I was reading on Mary Poppins blog that you have made a button quilt. I'm interested to know what this might look like, but I can't find a picture of it on your blog. P.S. I love your covered buttons!

Beth said...

Super tea cozy and zippered pouch! You are right these string blocks are addictive!

SarahVee said...

I love the tea cozy. I just might make one for my mom's birthday coming up. Great idea:)The zippered purse is great too.