Tuesday, 12 January 2010

Quilting... and Fractions!


I've done it! I've signed up to Loft Creations fabulous string quilt challenge, which is basically encouraging bloggers to make string quilt projects between now and June.
I was nervous about this, because I don't quilt - I've done one fairly basic quilt in my life - and I'm scared off by the thought of placing the wrong fabrics together. But after cutting some strips, and watching my daughter merrily placing them together randomly, I decided to try the same route and put aside my nerves about it. I was pleased with the first block I did:


And I've now completed four.


I have to say, it is hugely addictive.
Hugely!


We've had a brilliant time over Christmas and New Year, and with the snow. We couldn't find a toboggan so my lovely hubs set to and made one in half an hour. I know he's good with wood.

But all the same: Wow! We were impressed.



It worked really well, and we've now got it in case it snows again. Snow and kiddies is a lovely combination, it really is, but I'm glad it appears to be turning to slush. I feel sorry for all the people who have been trapped by it.



11 year old has settled back into school really well. I've been worrying about her understanding fractions. They are tricky for children. So I bought her this:


from here.
We were sitting looking at it, and guess who came on Radio 2, talking about the difficulty of children learning about fractions?! Carol Vorderman herself. Coincidences like that are very funny. Anyway, 11 year old seems to have responded well to the first instalment of 'fun with fractions', so hopefully we're going to crack it.

The other thing we managed to do over New Year, was pop and see the horse we used to share. He's so loveable. He's now around 35 and fully retired and living out his life in a good way, which is better than what happens to a lot of old horses. It was so nice to see him again.


He deserves a long and happy retirement, he really does.
Right, I'm off to do some more stringing!

9 comments:

MelMel said...

Lovely quilting squares Lacey...
The snow was such fun to play, hell to work in tho....lovely snow pic's...xxxxx

Lalabibaby said...

Way to go Lacey .... it's easy peasy aint it .... they look great and the randomness is what makes it so much fun. x

Sal said...

You've made a fantastic job of the quilting!
It's lovely!
I don't think I would have the patience!!
;-)

mitmot said...

Yeah - welcome to the stringy club :-)xx

Julies knitting corner said...

Happy New Year. Gosh well done you for delving into quilting, I have had a little go at a cushion cover but its still not finished. I did just what you thought you might do, by putting the pieces in the wrong place and had to undo it. I love what you have done, maybe I will have another go too. Julie.C

Floss said...

Those squares are so lovely. I've signed up for the challenge too, but am taking it slowly as I'm not too well at the moment. Just thinking about fabrics at the moment...

A Thrifty Mrs said...

Lovely quilting. Great work.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Serenata said...

Lovely squares - I haven't started any yet... the thought of scrabbling under my table to get fabrics out of the suitcase is putting me off. I really need a better system of storing them!

❦TattingChic said...

Awww...that horsey looks really sweet!
Your squares are lovely! Very pretty! I love the colors.


What a nice mama to go get the fraction helpers! Gosh, I wish they would've had those when I was young!
Very cool!

Toodles!
~TattingChic ♥