Sunday, 24 January 2010

My button quilt revisited!


My daughter's been busy making a mask for her homework this weekend, and I think she's done incredibly well, so I had to include a picture.  She has a lot more talent at her age then I had, and she has the confidence to do things. Jelly-ous! Me? You bet!



Meanwhile, I've been harking back to the first thing I made in Domestic Science, which is what they called cookery/food tech in my day - shows my age! I made a quiche for the first time for ages, hoping the children will like it in their packed lunch as a change. I've loved quiche ever since I made it all those years ago at school, but home baked only, not shop bought. They are never rich enough.

On another baking subject, remember the delicious carrot and banana cake that Debbie at Country Heart and Home posted about and I baked (as did many of you). Well, it came in very useful for a birthday cake last week. The recipient was very impressed, thank goodness. So thank you again, Debbie!



Sarah over at Red Gingham was asking about my button quilt. I can't track it down on my own blog, though I think I blogged about it. My memory's not brilliant about these things. Lots of you kindly sent me a button last year, and I stitched each of these to the first quilt I've ever made. Did I show you the picture of when I'd laid it out. I'm sure I did, but just for Sarah, and anyone else who hasn't seen it:



And then I added buttons to tie it all together...



It really is very precious to me, because I asked lots of you to send me a button, just one, and as they came I kept a button diary/sketch of each button and who it came from, so it's full of lovely memories of the buttons coming.



 I can't show all the buttons at the same time, but they are all very pecious to me, and I thought of that when the lovely MaryPoppins thanked people for offering fabric squares for the kitchen curtains she is making here. It's such a wonderful way of linking everyone up.  So thank you again, from me, for my buttons.








15 comments:

Sal said...

The first thing I cooked, in Domestic Science, was mashed potato.I got 9 out of 10..I was so chuffed.
The next thing we did was some sort of stew and mine split all over the bus on the way home..I remember it well!
Did you have one of those lovely baskets to carry your home made wares? We had to have one!
Sadly,we had to choose between Cookery and Needlework as we got older.
;-)

John said...

Clever daughter, yummy quiche and simply gorgeous quilt. I think you made this just before I joined SC so I didn't get to send you a button, but such a lovely idea.

MelMel said...

Lacey that is so cute...a button quit, not seen one of those before!xx

Lululiz said...

What a wonderful quilt, I hadn't seen it before, and didn't know the story about the buttons. I really like the idea of that.

Sarah said...

Thank you for showing me your precious quilt! It's very beautiful and having such lovely memories with the buttons an added extra. There are some very sweet ideas out there. Love your daughter's mask as well! She's done a superb effort and I like the sequins.

Elizabethd said...

What a lovely idea that is. You must have so many memories with all your souvenir buttons.

PS. The word verification is 'sewheaps'!!

Sue at Dollytub Cottage said...

I loved the buttons on the quilt. What a lovely idea!

Josie-Mary said...

The button quilt is a great idea. I remember cookery at school, I was rubbish, I tried really hard to start with but then gave up! I used to mess around in the back row...naughty!! :)

Shabby Chick said...

That's such a sweet idea! I wish I'd sent you one as well, it looks great.

Mel xxx

Thecraftytrundler said...

Lovely idea for a quilt!! So pretty, & the buttons make it extra special!!
I don't have many buttons, but found a stall on the local market on Saturday, and they had hundreds!! I will definitely be going back!
Have a lovely. crafty week : )

Sharon xx

Julies knitting corner said...

Well done to your daughter,the mask is really good. I like the button quilt too. Julie.C

Marie said...

I love the button quilt (and the quiche). I never thought about handtying with the buttons but now I can hardly wait to do it. I enjoy your blogsite.

BlossomAndRoses said...

Very impressed with the mask, your daughter obviously gets her crafty talent from you! Theres nothing nicer than sharing the joys of crafting with your children; my daughters have become mini me's! They have their own stash & love nothing more than crafting!

Natasha x

Big Red Hearts said...

Looks like Miss Lacey takes after her talented mummy!
I made a quiche at Christmas and you can't beat the flavour of home-made can you? Shop ones are flavourless.

Primrose Corner said...

Love the idea of the button quilt a wonderful way of keeping your friends close.