Friday, 25 September 2009

Recent makes... !


Thanks so much for popping by. And for all your lovely comments on my last couple of posts. More about the above pic in a minute, but first I've got a few things to share...

First of all: coat hangers! I've wanted to make a padded coat hanger for ages, but just couldn't understand the instructions I found. They were too complicated, or depended on an odd shape being cut as a pattern. I simply couldn't get my head around them. I often have this problem with patterns, which is probably why I initially found sewing so scary. Anyway, I decided I was being a bit pathetic in not just trying... the more I do, the more confident I get at just doing my own thing and not worrying about following instructions (which often seem to miss a crucial bit out).

So, I got my tatty old wooden hanger and cut a bit of thick wadding...

I loosely stictched the wadding in place...


Then cut a rough shape around the hanger - I didn't cut a pattern... and sewed the ends and around the top.

I'm struggling now with getting a ribbon around the wire hanger... any tips gratefully received. Cos it just doesn't want to wrap and stay in place.

So, nearly finished my first ever padded coat hanger. Remember, you saw it here first! Finished picture to come next week, I hope.

Now, on the forum I visit there's a great thread on what makes us proud, started by the lovely MaryPoppins. I've really struggled with this one. I love what I make, and I'm getting more confident all the time, but I can't honestly say I'm proud of anything. Silly, really, huh! But it's got me thinking a lot. Because at first I really panicked... how could I not be proud of anything?

But then my 12 year old produced this for her science homework this morning, having spent a couple of weeks planning and cutting the bits out:


I wish my camera were better. It's an amazing model, and I'm blown away proud that I've produced and nurtured a child with such an original approach to life. The brief was to produced a model of a favourite predator, within its home environment, and what it likes to eat and how it eats. She was the only one to produce a setting for a human... the teacher asked where was the predator and she told him to look in the mirror! He did, and said 'me! That's good.' How cool, I thought! And how proud I am. Bursting in fact. So, I had to share.


I've also been busy making stock for restocking my blogshop, Sew Happy...

this time it's glasses cases. These have been great fun to make. Thank you to all who have ordered from my shop. I really do appreciate it.

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Well done to your daughter! I like the way she thinks. Now onto your coathanger problem. Why don't you make a lovely bow and then stitch it on the top front of your hanger instead of tying it on. I think it will sit better. Do one of those two loops knotted together type of bows, they look nicer. Good luck!

Floss said...

You DO have a lot to feel proud about! Yourself and your very thoughtful daughter! Have a great weekend.

Serenata said...

Very clever daughter! She must take after her very clever mother! :-) Love the glasses cases.

Elizabethd said...

What a brilliant piece of work from your daughter, how clever.
Coat hangers..so difficult to do the wire bit unless you use a glue, which then shows through the fabric.A friend of mine covered the wire bit with a transparent narrow rubber tubing, I think she got it in a farm store!

LittleGem said...

One might say that the coat hanger part of this post is rather co-incidental considering what went in the post today ;) xxx

A Decluttered Life said...

Hi thanks for dropping in and saying hi!. I get worried I will forget to know how to knit each day!
I love your makes. I just got hold off some old wooden hangers and want to do a few padded ones for my wardrobe and a few little christmas token presents. Yours have turned out brill , cant offer any advice on ribbon around the hook. I will be interested to know too! I love the glasses cases too.
Your daughter has got a excellent project , top marks for that from teacher
take care x Dom

madmummy said...

well done to your daughter, and well done to you for making that clever girl!!
xxx Steph

claire said...

What a clever dd you have - you are right to be super proud...I think us mums forget that our childrens brilliance comes from somewhere ;) xxxx
You have lots to be proud about with your own crafting too.....
Did you see my 1st hanger?? I didn't get it either but Gem helped me...let me know if you want me to forward the PM she sent me to you xxxxxxx

Josie-Mary said...

What a clever girl! Love the hanger, I found some old wooden ones last week, I've been meaning to knit covers for years. :)

white o'morn cottage said...

Wow! Your daughter is a lateral thinker! Well done on producing her. That's the first you can be proud of. I know what you mean. We are all too often over critical of our creations. But we are learning with each one. Your cases are beautiful! You can be very proud of it all. Well done.

Mary Poppins said...

The cases are loverly Lacey, well done, very pretty and whoop I am loving your coat hanger.

And as for your very clever DD, well you must be on top of the world :)

X

Ticking stripes said...

I always cover the wire top first. I use bias binding and I always use UHU and it doesn't show through - I only use it right on the end and then fold the fabric over it. I bind it round really tight and hangers I covered 27 years ago have not unravelled amazingly.