Thursday, 17 September 2009

Felting adventures Part 2! Going better!


Well, not one to easily give up, and buoyed up by your wonderful comments - thank you so much for those everyone - I tried felting again, largely because I found this wonderful jumper in a charity shop for £6, which was labelled as 100 % wool.

I didn't actually show a picture of how the felting went before... on the right, in the pic below, is the mohair, which felted beautifully. The scarf behind it was so good.


So, I decided to boil the jumper, as I figured that must work this time! Don't tell hubs but I borrowed his preserving pan for the purpose...


Now, I have to admit, I'm very lazy in terms of looking up the right way to do something. I've heard that boiling felts, so I thought I'd try it. I shoved it into boiling water...



gave it a good stir...

and left it while I made the all important bacon sandwich...


Notice it is cheap white bread. Not wholemeal, not homemade. Just cheap white plastic bread!


It was very very very tasty, thank you. And I finished it before the felting.

Well, the jumper boiled for half an hour and I could have sobbed. The dye had run, but otherwise... zilch. What a waste of effort thought me.


So I shoved it half-heartedly in the machine on a 95 degree wash.
So this jumper has cost £6, then say, what, £2 of gas, then £358 of electricity. It's not climate friendly, this stuff. Anyhow, you should have heard my gasp of excitement...

So, I have a terrific piece of felt. A large piece. Mine. All mine! More anon in terms of what I do with it. Actually, the jumper was originally so big, it would make a gorgeous felted jacket. But I have smaller things in mind.

17 comments:

white o'morn cottage said...

Love your felting adventures. It's something I have been threatening to try. Well done.

bekimarie said...

Can't wait to see what you make!
I've never met John Terry but my half sister has and he asked her out. Not a wise move as my Dad is a Man U fan lol!
((hugs))
Beki xxx

p.s He was in a relationship at the time with same woman he's with now, may be a great footballer but not the best boyfriend/hubby material lol x

Elizabethd said...

Congrats on the felting, try try try again seems to succeed!

bakeandsew said...

Well done on the jumper thing. I think it is the agitation in the machine that chivvies things along.

Wow John Terry at school - cool or what!!

claire said...

yay! more success with the felting than me - I have put my bit of felt to the back of the cupboard as it depresses me :(

Josie-Mary said...

wow John Terry, how cool is that?
I need to felt a hat I've made but I'm not sure how to do it either, don't really want to put the washing machine on for one hat!
I'm organizing The Big Knit if you fancy stopping by, it's for charity but at the moment I've got 1 person via my blog & 6 via facebook, very disappointed!!! :( x

Floss said...

Those felts look fantastic - you did what I'd been thinking, as in only using materials with the 100% wool label in them! One way to make sure...

It's interesting that the washing machine produces the best felt. I guess if you do a whole load together once in a while it's not too bad for the environment.

So, what comes next?

PS I'm giving away two French magazines with pretty home and garden pictures at the moment, if you're interested.

Lululiz said...

I am so glad you didn't give up on the felting, its looking great. So come on, tell us, what are you going to make with all that lovely felt?

MelMel said...

I'm amazed at what can be made with felt.....:>)
My friend Adele makes all kinds of things...including fairies!

Nice to have a go and you're doing really well...I must set aside time to have a go at some new stuff!

Have a super weekend!xxx

julieknitsjuliesews said...

I will be coming back to see what you do. You make this felting look so easy. best wishes Julie.C

Elise said...

Your adventures with felt are just inspiring - thank you

madmummy said...

Just stopped by to say thanks for the mention of the lego house in ur last post, was wondering what to do today when I remembered ur post, so off we went, it was fab!! Good timing too as i think they are taking it down next week :(
xxx Steph

angel said...

Mingin, but, at least you aint frightened to give it a go. :-)

Now i have been out with JT and he was ok bit kept talking footie and as you know i aint a footie fan so i dumped him...... ner mind, he will get over me, someday.:-)

Great post honey. Mwah XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
And 1 for you. X :-)

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Fascinating to see how you did the felting!Such beautiful colours.
Isabelle x

maypole said...

Wow Lacey! how do you make that jumper into jam??

maypole said...

Wow! lacey, how do you make that jumper into jam??

Primrose Corner said...

Well that felt looks as it it was worth all the trouble. I love the texture you get in felt from a boiled piece of knitwear. I wonder what you're going to make....?