Thursday, 23 July 2009

Lavender fun and lovely gifts


We've had such a lovely day today, the first day of those fabulous summer holidays... precious time. And a baking hot day. This morning was a tidy up, lazy, bit of craft morning. This afternoon we finally visited our local organic lavender farm...


and what a treat it was, with the lavender just about ready for harvesting. It's full of visiting honeybees, and there's the odd treat of a wild flower thrown in.


The kids spent ages hunting down rosemary beetles, an invasive species apparently with no natural predators here, so the lavender field wants rid... but it all has to be done organically:


They also have a rather lovely little area you can buy a cup of tea and a lavender biscuit... or lavender cupcake. Yum. Plus of course lots of lavender... which we did. Well worth a couple of hours.


Now, just look at what I received today...


My wonderful swap package this lunchtime from Dollydollop on the fabulous shabbychic forum June swap. The theme was stripes and polka dots. Just look at what she made. I love the handbag... just look how it's been lined ...


A gorgeous roll...

...filled with cutlery... I've been meaning to make one of these, and it's so lovely to receive one instead. And look at that boat to hang, probably in our bathroom, as the colours will suit nicely.


And look at that pretty button decorated boat. And a really pretty brooch...


Now, whatever I do, I cannot get the next pics to sit the right way up. Odd. But you can see how clever Dollydollop is with her makes...


I love this butter dish, which was a lovely surprise, as I'd been looking for a prettier one to replace my plain white one.


There was even some pretty polka dot fabric, but the picture didn't load properly.
Thank you so much, Dollydollop.

Earlier this week, I received such a lovely gift from Floss and Troc, Broc and recup for my post about her fabulous birthday party...look!

A French vintage prize, with a selection of truly lovely buttons from French Vide Greniers, together with a delightful small calendar from 1925. It's full of very sweet images.
Each winner also received a cross stitch flower - I have an idea to make a little wall hanging from this, as I really love the colours in this.
Thank you Floss, and thank you for inviting lots of us to your garden party!

Bye for now!

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Isn't it lovely to receive presents when it isn't even your birthday? I love what you got in your swap. Everyone seemed to have chosen such wonderful gifts for each other. Sounds like a really lovely swap.

I have one of those flowers to make into something too from Floss. I'm thinking a small bag for lavender funnily enough. Unfortunately we don't have lavender fields over here. They must be very restful places!

TattingChic said...

Are you SURE you don't live around here!?! That looks JUST like OUR local lavender field! So pretty! :)

I need to take my camera out there!

Josie-Mary said...

What lovely goodies, how lucky.
The lavender looks beautiful, what a good start to the holiday. No sunshine for us :(
I was harvesting my lavender on wednesday, I fill a trug from one plant...very happy 'cos now I won't have to buy any from ebay :)
I have a giveaway if you want to join in.

Floss said...

I'm glad you like my little prize! I had such fun at your garden party. I really can't wait to see what everyone does with their cross-stitch flowers. I have furniture and other wood-based projects at the moment, so I haven't got motivated by my own flowers yet.

MelMel said...

OOOhhhh Lacey, what lovely presents, super, two very lovely ladies sending such thoughtful swaps...xx

white o'morn cottage said...

What a beautiful post. All those goodies and the lavendar. A treat!

claire said...

I love your lavender field pics...and what a fabulous idea using children to organically remove the beetles, my boys would love that!!!
Glad you like your pressies :)

oh derar word verification is nonce :0!!!!!!!

Kirsty said...

oooh I wanna go to a Lavender field!!! After seeing this and MaryP's post too. Not fair as our car isn't working and I doubt it's on the bus route. Humpf.

Your swap parcel was gorgeous!! I used to have that butter dish till I broke it. Oops.

Lulu said...

lovely lavender..
love the heart, its so pretty.

silverpebble said...

How lucky you are to live close to a lavender farm! Gorgeous. Oh though, your swap parcel - just divine. Such delicious colours. I especially love that little boat x

MelMel said...

Lacey, is that you in the last photo??
Cute dress!

When we went to York there was a lavender farm...I wanted to go but we ran out of time, it was near, Castle Howard,

Must get some from somewhere, as mine did not take off this year, I don't know why...:>((xxx

Primrose Corner said...

What beautiful lavender.... lucky you. It must have all have smelt absolutely divine, particularly on such a warm day.

Bellamere Cottage said...

Everything is yummy, but that little covered dish in polka dots is just my very favorite. I so wish it were mine...I LOVE Cath Kidston!

Blessings,
Spencer