Friday, 8 May 2009

Ways to stay young...

I've never been able to resist Betty Boop, so this top just zipped over to me today. Bit like two magnets we were. I tried to stop myself, honestly.

Bit ridiculous really at my age, so to prove to myself I could be grown up as well, I bought the Boden shirt below...


It got me thinking on the things that keep me feeling young. One is definitely going for things like the Betty Boop, though I should know better. Another is having a 12 year old who, like me, is addicted to reading.

Heard of Twilight? After much begging, I gave into her pleading and bought her the set of Twilight books. I thought I ought to read one as well to see what the fuss was all about.


Well, these books should come with a health warning. For the past three weeks, every spare moment, me and eldest have been glued to each book in turn. We're now on the fourth. I think they are fantastic.

Another book she introduced me to, and which really moved me, was

This is very painful to read, but also incredibly moving, and incredibly uplifting. Amazingly it's the author's first book, and she was just 23 when she wrote it. I can't wait to see what she comes up with next. I really got so absorbed, I thought it actually was written by an 11 year old boy.

What sort of things keep you feeling young?


I also treated myself to a mohair mix knitted dress I fell in love with in a charity shop... I don't like the arms, and so was aiming to cut it and change it - they puff out, but the dress itself is gorgeous with a capital G. I've always wanted a hand knitted dress, but given it takes me a year to knit a scarf, I don't think it's ever going to happen. So I was thrilled.


However, I thought out of interest I'd find out a little about the label as I hadn't heard of it. Scarlet Roos. Now, her dresses sell for around £100 and up... and this one looks brand new to me. And it's special, so I'm sure it would have been fairly pricey. Damn it, now I don't feel able to chop into it. That doesn't make me feel young. That makes me feel old and responsible! ;-)

Have a youthful weekend all you lovely peeps.

14 comments:

April said...

I adore Betty Boop and find it very hard to resist anything - especially T-shirts with her on

April xx

Mummy Boo Bear said...

Lol, I love the betty boop T-shirt and the boden blouse is very pretty too as is the knitted dress.

Things that keep me young mmm just have a look at my latest post on my blog. (possiably teenage girl young but what the hey)

I have been reading the twilight books too. Just finished Eclispe so looking forward to the fourth one in the series. Think I prefer Jacob though to Edward which is strange as i have always had a thing for vampires. That must be somthing to do with getting older and you prefer werewolves!!! lol.

Have a great and youthful weekend!

MBBX

bekimarie said...

Now, why would you want to be a grown up lol!
I've not read the twiglight books yet and I think I must be the only person in the country not to of seen the film. I keep picking it up on Dvd then putting it back down again.
A friend of mine is totally hooked and has read all of the books 4 times.
Really must get on and read and watch!
The other book looks good, I really must stop judging books by their covers but it looks right up my street. It looks a bit like a book I read a while ago 'Before I die' by Jenny Downham. Told through the eyes of a 16 year old girl, I highly reccomend it.
Havae a great weekend.
((hugs))
Beki xxx

Elizabethd said...

Dont cut the dress!
Try a little judicious stitching to see if you can alter it that way.

Floss said...

I loved the first Twilight book. I'm a teacher. One mum whose daughter is addicted to Twilight, the first books she's ever willingly read, said to me; 'goodness knows what kind of teenaged rubbish she's reading, but at least she's reading'! I had to reassure her - those books are really well written, by an author who respects and refers to many of the great authors and has a proper literary style of her own. It is addictive, though!

Lovely dress too - here in France, even the Boden top would look 'youthful' because one really doesn't wear colours and flowers, one only wears black, don't you know?

Elaine said...

Lovely dress Lacey, don't cut it though!!!! It's knitted, it will run and unravel and alsorts eeekkk!!!!
Play around with a needle and thread, see what happens.
Anyway round it must be the bargain of the week, well done.

Love and blessings
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

rachel the krafty girl said...

ooh love that top!i havea thing for betty boop myself

and as for twilight,all i can say is thankfully i have read them all,you cant get nothing done when your reading them,i swear that stephanie meyer has found a way of drugging you with her writing.

rachel
x

Simone said...

Betty Boop and Boden are a lovely combination. I think the mohair knitted dress would look great over jeans and a long sleeved t-shirt. Wearing jeans makes me feel young although I don't wear a young, fashionable style! My 10 year old son makes me feel young too with his fresh outlook on life. x

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

HI CAROLINE,
I TOO LOVE BETTY BOOP, EVEN MORE THAN MY TWO DAUGTHERS DO, AND HELLO KITTY TOO!
THANKS FOR SHARING THE BOOKS WITH US... I MAY HAVE TO TREAT MY DAUGTHER WITH THEM...
I HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE, TWICE NOW... AND LOVED IT! LOVED IT! LOVE IT!
I TRULY FANCY EDWARD CULLEN... HE IS TRULY GORGEOUS IN THAT MOVIE...
I`M OFF NOW, LOTS OF HOUSEWORK TO DO...
WISHING YOU A LOVELY WEEKEND!
DEBBIE MOSS

Melanie said...

I have seen the film Twilight, but have not read the books. I did enjoy the film. Your new dress is lovely! xxxx

Jacoline (Lien) said...

I enjoyed scrolling true your blog, love it.

louise said...

Lacey, I love betty boo too!!
I have read the Twilight books like you I couldn't put them down they were fab, I watched the film the other weekend and I am currently in love with Edward, Sad!!!
Thje knitted dress is gorgeous what a fantastic find.
Take care.
Louise xx

angel said...

Now then, for the dress i suggest a large pair of secateurs or a hedge trimmer fingy, take the arms and hack em off ....... *simples* :-)

I notice the size of the *Elizabeth Sob* is a small! it will never fit me! ......tsk... tsk ......ner mind, i saw a nice size 24 in the Okye for £3 squids, nice crimperline number, suit me down to the ground.:-)
Its great that DD loves reading and that you can share a passion for books together.:-)
I am passionate about books too, yes i am, i am on *Janet and John go to the Seaside* [no i aint reading it, im sitting on it... sheesh, cant read yet can i...tsk tsk] so i will have that one off ya when ya finished wiv it.... Fanx.


Love and huggles honey Mwah
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Squillions of snogs for you XXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Icklies and one for your Mum.X :-)

Todays word is *tries* [i certainly do, i certainly do].

Floss said...

Hi again - thanks for entering my giveaway! You're right, I really did have a lot of fun putting it all together. Best of luck!