Thursday, 19 March 2009

My first quilt!


I just had to post a picture of my brussels sprouts, because they looked so lovely this morning. And no, sadly, I didn't grow them. As if I could!

I wanted to show you my sewing...


Today I'm joining an online sewalong to make a quilted needlecase, under the fab direction of Mitmot. It's my first time machine quilting, and it's much easier than I'd thought...

Putting the bias binding on...

However, it's gone a bit wrong. I've never used binding before, and I didn't realize there was a whole heap of difference between shiny binding and cotton binding, so it kept slipping...


Messy edges, see?!


But I'm not put off easily... Finished picture will be added later. Sorry it's a short post, but got a little one at home not very well at all today. Hope you are all enjoying the sun.

Edited to add finished pic:


It was fun... even though I made a lot of mistakes, but I'll definitely be doing another. :)

19 comments:

LittleGem said...

You have an award Lacey! XX

thriftymrs said...

I think it looks terrific!

MelMel said...

Lovely fabric!
Better than my attempt if I were to have a go!

The SSF sounds such fun.....xxx

dancingonabladeofgrass said...

Very pretty ... but did your fingernails match the fabric??

LOL :-)

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Everyone makes mistakes. You should see the mistakes I'm making with my beginner quilts. I think it looks lovely and I love the fabric.

white o'morn cottage said...

I love it. I have just finished my first patchwork (double bed size) Yikes! I know what you mean 'cos I made loads of learning mistakes (those are the ones we wont make again because we learned from making it)so that's OK - right?
while it's not perfect I am quite pleased with it. I'll be blogging about it soon. Yup, I love your little needle case. well done...Pam

Lajoni said...

hey the contrasting thread colour looks good well done far better than a first attempt from mne would be lol....its brill xx

Lesley (Notesfrommydays) said...

lacey yours is fab i am inspired to try one myself!!
lesley x

mitmot said...

Gold star for miss lacey hearts

MM xx

MaryPoppins said...

Lacey it is gorgeous it really is, I made so many mistakes as you probably know but hopefully I can only improve on the next one, though I know shall find the Bias Binding tricky again :)

What next Mitmot :)

X

Lavender hearts said...

It does take a lot getting used to bias binding. Looks brill! :-)

Trish said...

it looks lovely :) I have used the shiny stuff before too and it is a bu&&er to use hun xxx

MelMel said...

Hi hunni...have sent two emails today, both returned...was just to say....thank you so much for the lovely letter and gift...your very kind and the letter had some wise words in it....the teatowel is so pretty...and the trim, is brill!!!!xxxxx

Summer by the sea said...

Well done - I bet you will find your second attempt much easier! - Natalie x

MelMel said...

Hello Lacey hav a happy day tomorrow hunni!xxx

bekimarie said...

I have a little susrprise for you over on my blog!

Hugs
Beki xxx

Elaine said...

For a minute there I thought that you had cleverly quilted a stick of sprouts ! So realistic I thought!!!

Then I looked again LOL

Well done on the needlecase, when you starting the next one!!!

Love and blessings
xxxxxxxxxx

louise said...

A sw=ew along sounds fun, i think i am going to pop over to the forum to see what its all about I haven't been there before and Iv heard it mentioned so many times.
The needle case is lovely, I hope you get lots of use for it.
xxx

Primrose Corner said...

You're off to a great start - love the fabric. When are you making the next one?