Tuesday, 24 March 2009

Make a fabric bucket!



I'm sure lots of you have made one of these. But the wonderful Mitmot did me a huge favour recently, and asked that I did a tutorial for how I make mine. I'd also promised diydeb a long time back to do a tute, so here it is. They are simple, and useful for all sorts of things. You can make them any size you want, but this is a basic one to start you off. There are lovely ones I've seen in shops, which use binding around the top, but I'm not confident with using binding yet, so haven't made it this way. There are loads of tutorials for fabric buckets on the web, and I'm a learner at sewing, so mine's not necessarily the right way, but hopefully it will help someone (plus, I've been nagged for it so many times, diydeb ;-))

First, you will need to make a pattern... the one shown used a circle with a 16 cm diameter, and a long rectangle, measuring 52 cm by 24 cm. Use both patterns to cut a circle and rectangle out of your lining, outer fabric and a fusible interfacing, which you need to make the bucket stiff enough to stand (unless your fabric is very stiff).


Now iron the interfacing to the lining. Then pin the two together against one long edge, ensuring if there is a right way up, the right way is up towards the pins if you see what I mean. And sew this long edge - allowing about a 7 mm seam. In the pic, I've got to this point, and ironed open the seam.


And a pic from the right side...

Now you bring the left edge (speaking as looking at the pic above) to join the right edge, to form a tube and with the right side inside. Hope that makes sense as I haven't got a pic of this stage, cos it came out badly blurred... make sure you match the centre seam together. Pin and stitch. In the pic below, I've put on the outer fabric circle, by pinning it in place, but you can see the long seam stitched, so hopefully that will make it clear.



So now you have a tube, and as shown in the pic above you pin the circle in... don't worry too much if the fabric rucks up, because it doesn't seem to matter. See below pic for this from another angle...



Now machine sew around that edge. And then pin the other circle on, the lining circle, right side in. You machine stitch this in place too, but leave a gap because you need to turn it the right way out through this gap. I've left a large gap to show you what I mean, but I usually leave enough room just to get my fist through to pull back the fabric. So around 4 inches, I guess.


Now pull your bucket through the gap you have left...


Pin your gap closed, folding in the seam allowance, and slip stitch it closed. That ensures it's invisible, especially as this is your lining.


Push your lining inside the bucket, and arrange it.

Depending on the pattern you've chosen, you can fold down the top and find something to pop into your bucket! The pattern of the geese meant I didn't fold this one down.


The beauty of these is that they are reversible.
So, Mitmot and Diydeb, pictures soon please! ;-)

17 comments:

MelMel said...

Hi Lacey!
I#ll have a go at making one...guess what fabric i'll be using*wink*
LOL!!



Till tomorrrow!

My Mum was all giddy with me!xxxx

mitmot said...

Thanks soooooo much - off to make my first one now :-)

claire said...

Thanks lacey - will definately be making some :)
Doing a mayps now - how many googlers do you think you will get over by accident with some of the words in this post ;)
(sorry its that inner 13year old again!!!)
lol xxxxxx

louise said...

I think I will have a go at these they would look lovely on the office window ledge filled with all my stationary goodies.
xxx

bekimarie said...

Wow, these would be really handy for my little mans bits and pieces and Jess' actually.
Though being too scared to use the machine I don't know if i'll be able to give them a go. Don't think hand stiching would be strong enough.
Really do need to learn to use the machine lol!
Have a good week
((hugs))
Beki xxx

white o'morn cottage said...

that is fabulous. I had not seen these before. Thanks so much for sharing. Love it...Pam

angel said...

Oi lastic is that my Bucket! wow...
seeing it being made is like watching a birth... tears in my eyes and everyfink.....
Great tute honey, you are a very clevererer lady.
Love and hugs honey ..... and a few of these...... ready ..... steady ....... go...X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X MWAH :-)

mitmot said...

I made my first bucket - great tute and really easy to follow, thank you soooooo much :-)

Please don't be a stranger, we love you loads ((((((((((hugs))))))))))

MM xx

Primrose Corner said...

Thank you for that... I can think of loads of uses for such a pretty little bucket.

second wind said...

I've done one! Really clear tut and works fabulously. I'm now going to do one for my DIL as a little birthday extra. Thank you for taking the time to do this xx

Happy @/*-*\@ said...

Cool tutorial Caz....Pop over to my place and pick up your award!

I hope life is treating you well and hubby and kids are fine :)

Speak soon

Love Happy xx

thriftymrs said...

Thanks for the much begged for tute lovely lacey.

MelMel said...

mmm....how lovely the danish pastries were....hahahha!
I've not eaten them all..Still got some left...for my good bye party at group amorrow....:>(

I'm keeping my chin up!
Onwards and upwards!

Cheers Lacey....your a sweetie!xxx

bekimarie said...

Wish the little lady a very 'Happy Birthday' from me!
Jess is also a fashion junkie but will be getting money from her Dad so i'll have to take her out clothes shopping. I wouldn't dare buy her clothes anyway, I never get it right lol!
Have a good day tomorrow (not too much cake 'hehe')
((hugs))
Beki xxx

angel said...

lol i bet you say that to all the bloggers..... lolololololololololololollolololol

I have just been reading through your other posts that i MISSED ... gosh i have been a norty blogger aint i :-(
Still i catched up now....
Mwah XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
They are all for the icklies... here is your one. X [only joking, you can share :-)] XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

silverpebble said...

Many thanks for the tutorial - my mum just gave me my gran's sewing machine! I won't be up to making a bucket like this yet - LOTS of practising to do but I'll stow this one away for later, when I'm a bit more proficient! Emma x

CoveredInCrafts said...

I love your tutorial! Thank you! I've been reading fabric bucket tutorials all day, I think i'm getting brave enough to try it. :D