Tuesday, 10 March 2009

Belated thank you and patchwork fun


Thank you for your lovely comments on my last post about our understairs bathroom - I can't get over how thrilled I am with it. It really is gorgeous.

Now, last summer I wandered into a quilting supplies shop which is fairly close to where we live. It was lovely, and I signed up for a scheme whereby they sent a selection of squares each month for a year for a total of £15. I haven't liked many of the squares, though some stand out. But I wanted to do something with them and not just leave them in a basket, as they do look pretty together. So, I've been playing with a quick patchwork.


And the rest of the family have been helping out with design ideas. We think we've come down on a design, so I'll let you know how the stitching goes. I've only made a patchwork cushion before, and I can't be bothered to get a book and find out how I ought to be doing it, so I'm sure something will go wrong. But it's fun to piece it together.


I know one thing. I won't be hand stitching!


And I need to say a huge thank you...


... for my awards - I'm sorry it's taken time to get around to posting about them.
First of all, a big thank you to Bake and Sew for my lovely Your Blog is Fabulous Award. Apparently I have to list 5 addictions... well,
1. Sewing
2. Crunchies
3. Family life
4. Fabric and ribbon and lace
5. Crochet

And another huge thank you to Dresden Plate who passed me this award:

For this one I have to list 7 things I love...
1. Crunchies
2. Crochet
3. Fabric
4. Family life
5. Lace
6. Sewing
7. Ribbons

There! Done!!! ;-)
I'm fairly sure that everybody has had these awards, so I can't think who to pass on to. I'll go munch on a crunchie instead!

13 comments:

MelMel said...

How was the crunchie?

:>)))

Top awards!

Lovely squares, I'm sure you will make something fab woth them...set out like that they look really pretty!

xxxx

Shabby Chick said...

Not fair, now I want a crunchie!

Enjoy the sewing, I find patchwork books confuse me even more than just working it out by myself! Though admittedly I've not tried any complicated shapes or log cabins or anything :-S Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Mel xxx

MelMel said...

LOL!!!!

x

Josie-Mary said...

The squares look good set out like that, I like the sound of getting squares every month! I don't like crunchies..... too sweet for me! :)

Josie said...

ooo, all tha fabric, what about a patchwork bag? there is a free pattern here and with instructions as well!
http://buttonberry.typepad.com/
there is a link on the left for a free tote bag pattern
Josie x

Thecraftytrundler said...

Look forward to seeing your patchwork throw.Squares are easy to sew together on the machine, I wish you lived near, I'd love to help you!!!
I really should make a start on my son's quilt, but my house is in a bit of a mess at present, as I have bagfuls of my daughter's stuff, bags of toys, furniture, and loads of other things for when she gets a house, or flat. I don't feel very focussed at present to start a big project. I'm not an expert at patchwork, but if you have ant queries, then I will be pleased to try and help, or ask someone else., if I don't know.

Happy sewing : )

Sharon xx

vintage girl said...

The patchwork looks like it is going to be lovely! I have only done a few patchwork projects and I have not used a book as I found them too confusing and rather complicated! I just sewed the squares together and hey presto. I tell myself it's meant to look handmade anyway! Lisa x

Lajoni said...

ooh lovely Lacey...I'm wanting to do a patchwork piece...never have before so will wait with baited breath to see your lovely resulting throw, cus it will be lovely as all your 'makes' are xx

angel said...

Cant wait to see it all sewed together....... its gunna look lovely.

SEE I CAN BE NICE...........

Now where did i snaffle that crunchie bar..... hummmmmmm
:-)

Mwah XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Mwah

Lavender hearts said...

I think quilting is one of the few things you need a book for (thank god!), especially making one with the squares. I'm going to have another go at quilting I made my cat's bed a few years ago (by hand, this was before I knew how to use a machine) and it took me 2 weeks of solid work. Now that i use a machine I think a quilt like that would probably take a day or so. I did go on a hand quilting course at 'The Quilt Room' in Dorking, that was good. I think they do all sorts of courses there that might be worth investigating if you're interested. :-)

MaryPoppins said...

Ohooo now you have me really excited, though methinks i shall only get as far as cutting the squares and making them look pretty, actually making them into something Ohooo now thats tricky :)


How big are your squares

Get it posted on our SC Cafe thread please Lacey :)

X

Elaine said...

Have you finished it yet ???? LOL

I love charm packs, they are so useful, and your quilt is going to look lovely.

Love and blessings
xxxxxxxxx

(ps. Todays word is "Tries", is it trying to tell me something?)

Elizabethd said...

When you stitch the square, put them in horizotal rows, then stitch the rows together after.
Love the arrangement of colours.