Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Retro food fun

What's this? ;-)


Any ideas?

Well, it's from this book, which I gave to the birthday boy at the meal we cooked recently.


This is a hilarious book, if you haven't come across it. Me and my eldest spent a happy 30 minutes laughing our heads off at the recipes and comments inside. Just look what delights it has... Crown roast of frankfurters, anyone?


Nestled lovingly around a shredded cabbage base!

It's full of adverts that appeared in the 1950s, with added text. It's very funny indeed.
How about this one...

Making the wife's job easier... canned and processed food. If you can open it, you can cook it!


So, we decided to go for it and try out the banana candle.


We added squirty cream.


Our guests were relieved the whole menu wasn't from the book! Next time we'll have to go to town (if I can re-borrow the book) (though I'm nervous now about going to their house now!!!).

Progress on the house
I thought I'd give you a quick peek at the understairs bathroom, which is coming along painfully slowly. We've been here 10 years, and it feels like we'll never get it done. But it's good when you see small progress of what you want.

11 comments:

thriftymrs said...

Great book. It looks very funny, I shall look out for it. Those tiles next to the sink look bloody gorgeous y'know?

Monique said...

What a fynnu book, I have never seen it before. I love the banan candle ; )
The bathroom tiles are gorgeous !!!
Have a great day !!

claire said...

Erm -Yum....I think :) :)
I LOVE those tiles - can I ask where were they from?? Just gorgeous x

Simone said...

That is so funny! I wouldn't fancy crown roast of frankfurters though!!!

Lavender hearts said...

Love the tiles, where did you get those?

Thecraftytrundler said...

Great book, really funny, love the illustrations!
Love those bathroom tiles too, looks like a patchwork effect, very pretty.

Sharon xx

MelMel said...

Wow...love the tiles, where are they from?
xx

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

Lol! A Lot!
That is such a great book!
And your tiles!
Wow!
Just by seeing yours, makes me want to re-decorate our bathroom!
Lol
I`m sure that all the hard work that you and your DH are putting into it, it will be well worth it in the end!
By the way you are the one who is lovely!
Lol
Your unexpected gesture to lovely Mel, was really nice!
Just like you surprised me with your lovely gifts in the past!
Once again, I can`t THANK YOU ENOUGH for the book and the other lovely gifts that you gave me!
But, specially for your F.R.I.E.N.D.S.H.I.P!

Love to you and yours
Debbie Moss

Knitty, Vintage and Rosy said...

Still waiting on an answer about the tiles?

It seems all your readers are asking the same???

:)

Lisa
Knitty, Vintage and Rosy

bakeandsew said...

very funny.
I love those tiles as well - look forward to seeing it complete.

LittleGem said...

Gorgeous tiles Lace! Do tell us more!! XX