Thursday, 1 January 2009

A fun day at Kew!

We got home and got to bed at around 1.30 am this morning, which is late for me. But we had a fab evening at friends I've known for ever. But we desperately needed to get out in the fresh air again today. Kew Gardens are celebrating their 250th year and opened their gates for free for New Year's Day. Now, for somebody who went there often as a child, and whose parents used to pay a penny, this was too good an offer to refuse.

In the Palm House...


In the queue for the treetops walkway...



After a snack but really tasty lunch in the Orangery, where they had a 6 piece brass band who were lovely to listen to, we headed to the new treetops walkway. I'd wanted to try this since it opened, but I don't remember anybody telling me it wobbled. It's high... about 100 metres up, I think. And a 200 metre circular walk.


You walk on grills, so you can see through to the ground below...


It's fun, but it does sway, and it certainly swayed with the number of people on it today! The people behind us said it reminded them of the millenium bridge which they had gone on the day before they closed it! Terrific views though.


It was nice to get back on firm ground and on a more normal bridge. This one was built in 2001, and we all liked the design - lots of new stuff there since I went as a 10 year old!


We of course had to go in the Palm House.



And up the spiral staircase to the top...


The greenery is still thriving. There's also a small marine centre below it, which is an added extra from my day (yep, I bored my children with in my day stories!).

This house fascinated me. It was built in Japan for a farmer in 1900, and donated to Kew in 2001 when the frame was shipped over and rebuilt. It's a Japanese minka.


There's a display inside of the silk process.
Then it was bye bye to Kew and off home...



where we cooked one of my favourite post Christmas use-up-the-turkey meals... turkey gourgere. I love this dish...

Yum... and settled down to watch Shrek 2. A perfect end to a perfect day. I hope you all had a happy New Year's Day and have thought about your resolutions. I usually don't bother, but have set myself some goals this year. The first is to finish papering my landing by the end of January. I'll have to show you which paper we decided on soon. Needless to say, we bought it 3 weeks ago at Laura Ashley, reduced. But they went and reduced it further in the sale, which meant we had to take it back and re buy it - very My Family as my children merrily pointed out. Grrrr. I'm pleased about the saving, but what a faff. Lucky we hadn't broken into it! We have now!!!!

A big Happy New Year to all my fellow bloggers.

12 comments:

Shabby Chick said...

You lucky thing going to Kew! I love that place but haven't been in ages. Though the hoardes of obsessive orchid fanciers (or whatever their official name is!) taking very up close photos of them do freak me out a little bit.

The turkey meal looks good, though I am happy to say we have run out now and I won't have any more until next Christmas!

Can't wait to see the wallpaper, LA do some lovely designs. Happy New Year! Mel xxx

Elaine said...

Lovely photos Lacey, I'm afraid I wasn't anywhere near as active today.

Happy New year to the Lacey household, and I pray it will be one full of peace and love
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

dancingonabladeofgrass said...

What a lovely day out! Great photos ... brilliant getting into Kew for free.

Thanks for your comment on my blog ... sorry to hear you had a problem and appreciate your re-trying. (Is it normally difficult to post, I wonder?)

Happy, Happy New Year xxxx

whitemorn said...

You always seem to bring your children on great fun days out and they always look like they are having a ball...lucky kids!

TattingChic said...

Hello, dear friend! Looks like a fun outing! You guys sure have a lot of fabulous outings! I think it's wonderful. Lucky you! Happy New Year to you and your family. Thanks for being such a sweet bloging friend.
I have enjoyed visiting your blog and your comments on my blog in 2008! Here's to many more in 2009!
Happy New Year!!!

Lucy B - Vintage Floral and Gingham said...

Happy New Year!

I love Kew, glad you enjoyed it. And I think it's brilliant that they opened their gates for free.

Lucy xx

MelMel said...

Love the turkey dinner, fab!

Just watched Rosemary and thyme....it was set in Kew!
How lovely to go there!

big hugs for you....catch up properly soonxxxx

Josie-Mary said...

Happy new year... looks like you had a great day. I've never been but would love to visit.
I had a good day doing nothing!! Watched some films & made cookies.. good to relax :)

Shabby Chick said...

Good luck taking down the decorations... it's so much less fun than putting them up! I know how you feel, its nice to get things back to normal however lovely all the Christmas stuff is xxx

Simone said...

Thank you for coming over to my blog and commenting. How weird that we both went to Kew on the same day and reported back! I didn't see the Japanese house - it looks very interesting. I didn't know that the orangery resataurant was open either and 'made do' with sandwiches I had bought along. It is so interesting to see the same day through another persons eyes. Thank you for sharing and a Happy New Year!

Elizabethd said...

It's years since I was at Kew. It looks just as marvellous.

I've done that too at Laura Ashley!!

Gingham and Flowers said...

Love the pictures of Kew. I used to live in Kew right oppersite the Victoria Gate entrance into the gardens and had a season ticket so used the gardens like my own back garden! It's nearly a year since I left and moved to Oxfordshire to be with my hubbie-to-be and I do think I'm due for a visit back soon. Couldn't go up on that walk-way though as I'm terrified of heights. Just looking at your pictures makes me feel a bit wobbly!