Friday, 16 January 2009

A day in the life of our kitchen table

Our lovely kitchen table, where so much happens, and where so many memories are built. It yet again reminded me, because of the contrast in our table from last night's birthday dinner setting:


complete with the beautiful runner that Angel sent me, to the after school craft-iness it took on today.


I'd determined they wouldn't come out of school and zombie-fie in front of the telly. I don't know about other children, but it often results in grumpy children in our house, whereas if we get doing something, we have a brilliant time. So they each did something.

My 8 year old began to paint his money box, a Christmas pressie (once we actually managed to get into the box - boy, they make it hard!).


My eldest designed a rabbit, inspired by the rabbit I bought a little while back, and which I've blogged about already.


Said rabbit is coming along nicely.


We've now chosen and cut the fabric, and more pictures to follow.
And my 10 year old... Well, inspired utterly by Simone's wonderful post on Linden Grove, just look what she set to and did.


Me? Well, I've been busy today. A peek.

More to follow. But yes, last night was fab.


Thank you for all your comments about the IKEA/cath Kidston box. I'll try and do a mini tute when I make the next one and post pics for those that asked. It really is simple - just watered PVA and tissues.

19 comments:

dancingonabladeofgrass said...

Lovely post Lace. Your kitchen table looks inviting. I had a table which I used in the kitchen many years ago and, when we moved here, I couldn't bear to part with it - until we opened the Co-operative Cafe and it's there in the middle, a round table, still being enjoyed and used by lots of people - makes me smile every time I go in.

That rabbit looks wonderful!

Simone said...

Wow you have all been busy! Well done to your 10 year old on her lovely watercolour paintings. I am so happy to have inspired her and look forward to seeing what else she makes.

Josie said...

everything looks great, nice to see kids away from the television,
my son is now all grown up,only memories and photo's left(crying) time goes too quickly....
Josie x

clare said...

Yes thats what kitchen tables are for . No tv no phone and lots of creativity and chatter .
Clares Craftroom

Tea with Willow said...

Ooh, I do love to see a busy kitchen table!! That's a really nice idea for a post - I might be inspired to do one too! I agree, my kids usually end up grumpy and bickering breaks out if too much time is spent in front of the tv! Anyway, your children's projects all look beautiful - how creative they are!!
Willow xx

clare said...

Thankyou for visiting my blog and entering my giveaway , good luck.
Clares Craftroom

Elizabethd said...

So good for children to be creative, an art that could so easily be lost.

fiftiesgirl said...

Lovely things that you have all made. x

Quilting Journey said...

Fabulous!! Not only are you truly creative....but you are so good at taking even the simplest purchases and making them special and unique! Your table is just absolutely beautiful and how wonderful you are at passing on inspiration and the love of crafting with your children! They are so lucky to have such a talented and dear mom! Your blog is just lovely and packed full of wonderful ideas! Michele, Salem Oregon USA

Country Bliss said...

Lovely to see your children being creative.
I'm ready and waiting for the tute, I ordered some CK tissues yesterday :)
Yvonne x

Shabby Chick said...

Awww you like look a really creative family, what a lovely post. Long may you enjoy working at that busy table!

Mel xxx

Margie said...

Hi Lace, your table looks like a really wonderful place to be. hugs Margie.

Andrea said...

LOVE the Decoupage below, I have been longing to have a go for such a long time, is it difficult?! x

TattingChic said...

What a lovely gathering place for some wonderful gatherings! That was a very sweet post. Thanks for sharing, dear bloggy friend! :)

Josie-Mary said...

What clever children you have... I used to love crafting with my mum when I was young. Wasn't much else to do then.... :) x

white o'morn cottage said...

Great post. Your table is never out of use it seems! Lovely stuff...Pam

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

I too struggle to keep my kidds away from the computer, games, t.v etc...
I love everything that your 3 Treasures have done!
My JL, has one of those painted piggy banks too!
Aren`t they lovely?
Love the table and the cake too!
Yum Yum
Love,
Debbie Moss

Goosey said...

There is something about a kitchen table that has memories built in to it. Ours has a big mark on it where my husband dropped a log on it as he came past with logs for the fire. It has memories of children doing colouring and then later homework and many happy meals....some tastier than others!

second wind said...

Your table must be very honoured to live with you!I love the way the little Lace family get creative in their own ways too, all lovely projects going on. My love of crafting started when I was given a book for Christmas when I was about six."1001 things a girl can make"!!