Tuesday, 4 November 2008

Yippee!!! Christmas cake time!!!!

I hate fruit cake! Loathe it! I can't stand it! There you go. I blame it on my mum, who refused to give us currants, raisins, sultanas, glace cherries, etc, until we were about 20, because we could have choked. So I never developed a taste for these things. I love the spice - I used to eat hot cross buns, but pick out the dried fruit, which was hoovered up by my dad. But I love the smell of a Christmas cake, and the cake itself looking so pretty. And this weekend, Mr Lace set to, as he always does, with the little Laces to make the Christmas cake. It's a bit late this year, but never mind.

He uses Delia's recipe, which to my eyes looks largely based on fruit... here's the soaked fruit (soaked overnight in some sort of alcohol already!):



and here's the mix, waiting for the grated citrus rinds to be added:


We all had a stir and a Christmas wish, as we always do, and believe me, it is hard to stir this stuff.
And several hours and wonderful smells of spices all around the house later, here's the result:

Even I think it looks scrummy.


Roll on Christmas!

13 comments:

Donna said...

Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog :-)

I don't like Christmas cake usually but I love the tradition of having one and think I might just have a go at making one this year so i shall try Delia's recipe. Thanks for the inspiration.

MelMel said...

I just love Christmas cake, i have to confess i've never made one tho!
My grandad does it for me, he enjoys it, so why stop him!
MMMMMM...royal icing! yum!

Olly is at home today, so i am ahving a break! yippee!
He is doing a jigsaw with the wee one.....paddington bear...cute!

Then we are going to bake some cakes, :>))x

thriftymrs said...

Mmmmm looks pretty darn tasty to me. I shall be making mine this weekend I think.

Sal said...

Looks like Mr Lace has done a great job there! ;-)

angel said...

YUK YUK YUK YUK........ looks lovely but i really dont like currents and zesty fings urgh... Can't mr Lastic make a decent cake? like a big scrummy chocolate cake with lots of chocolate and then chocolate on the top with chocolate inside it and chocolate curls on top of that and topped with chocolate, hot or just warm chocolate is ok with me .... and just in case he could make a chocolate custard, though im not to keen on custard.
But only if he has time..... Hummmmm wajafink any chance.... LOL.

Mwah XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX This much XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Elizabethd said...

Oh, I can just about smell that cake!

Elaine said...

The cake looks scrummy, and I can imagine the smell wafting through the house mmmmmmmmmmmm

I wasn't going to make one this year, but that might change !!!

I have a trusty 25year+ M&S recipe book I use, but it's the smell that gets me everytime LOL

Love and blessings
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

white o'morn cottage said...

I can almost smell it from here! Mr Lace and the laceletts did a great job!

Lace hearts said...

Thank you for all your comments. I think Christmas cake is worth it for the smell. Though I have to admit I prefer choccie cake every time!

Primrose Corner said...

You can't do better than homemade Christmas cake and I make that same recipe every year. Twice sometimes just in case I have to share it with anyone. Greedy? Not really - well o.k I am. It's the best christmas cake recipe I've ever tried.

Country Bliss said...

I always use Delia's recipe but haven't made mine yet as the fan on my oven is playing up, after half an hour it sounds like an helicopter taking off!!
Yvonne x

Ziakoko said...

that looks so good- i used to make wedding cakes and thats just what the best ones looked like-yum!

Lesley (Notesfrommydays) said...

thanks for your comments on my blog i did have a lovely time with melmel :-) that cake looks fab although Im not a fan of fruit/xmas cake normally but it looks good!
Lesley x