Thursday, 6 November 2008

Crochet blanket and Cath Kidston horse


Before I start - thank you everyone for your comments on the cake (my last post). Mr Lace read them and laughed. Especially at Angle's request for a chocolate cake with chocolate custard! Primrose Cottage - your comment made us laugh as well. How greedy! As to the idea of Country Bliss's oven complete with helicopter sounds...! I thought they were all such lovely comments. Thank you.

My crochet blanket is giving me so much fun. I wanted to have a splash of colour, similar to the Cath Kidston blanket, and I'm so happy with how it's coming along. Aside from anything, it's such a lovely thing to do. There's something very rhythmic about crochet, and particularly crocheting granny squares. I'm using the join as I go along method, so it feels as if it's happening faster. The lacelets love it this way as well, as they each keep claiming it's the ideal size for them. I'm hoping to keep going until it's the ideal size for me and one child to snuggle under. I think me and three would be pushing my impatience to begin other projects.


Tomorrow morning I'm visiting a friend who's just had a baby. I can't wait. It's ages since I've held a newborn, though it feels like so recently with my own. Having children really does age you, doesn't it!


So, me and my eldest were in the middle of making Maisie the horse which we began after we unearthed a fabulous Alan Dart pattern in a charity shop in Cheddar last week. She's decided Maisie should go to the newborn (though I think it will have to be as an heirloom rather than a toy she can play with so don't all panic - I will explain to the mum that it has bits that a baby could choke on).


Now, we had a bit of a disaster with this. We'd been so careful. Then we decided to give Maisie eyes with my croc-o-wotsit, which I bought in a fit of madness a few weeks back and haven't been able to work out how to use. I had it set wrong and the biter thingy bit through the fabric, leaving four neat holes. I nearly cried. And croc-o-wotsit nearly got binned. But, we decided to patch it (it was on the head), and we're both pleased with the result. It somehow adds to Maisie's character. It was fiddly to do that though, so I won't be putting holes in the next one.



She's floppy, but will be stuffed more before I sew her up. And we're not putting this one on rockers. We'll do another soon. Isn't it a lovely pattern! Good old Alan Dart. He always comes up with top patterns. It was easy to follow too.


It would have to be with my limited sewing skills. But I am finding sewing very, very addictive. I can't wait to get on with the next project each time I finish one thing.

I couldn't resist adding a picture I took in our local Cath Kidston shop. I just fell in love with the chair. But at £450, I think it'll have to stay on my blog and not come into my house. What a shame! Maybe if I drop enough hints to Mr Lace... it would make a lovely birthday present, and it's my birthday very very soon. Hint, Mr Lace! Haha. We can all have our dreams!

10 comments:

Sal said...

Maisie is delightful..I love her..well done you!! ;-)

dancingonabladeofgrass said...

I recognise the cowboy material Lace! You 'ole Pioneer Woman you!

Well done .... lovely!

Josie-Mary said...

Love the crochet blanket.... I need to check out this joining as you go...hate crocheting them together. Maisie is lovely.. very clever :)

MaryPoppins said...

What a lovely and thoughtful gift, how I wished more of my friends would make rather than buy :) You are very talented and the crochet blanket is lovely and snuggly, I am sure you and family are going to get many many years use from it X

MelMel said...

Hello Lace.....Love the horsey...please can i have copy of the pattern..?
I'd be very grateful....i think that the babies in the family would love one of those....:>))

Also when is your birthday?
I'd like to send you a card!
Hugsxxxx

thriftymrs said...

Gorgeous!

Trish said...

I am in love with maisie the horse!!! she is gorgeous, you are braver than me hun, I think I would be too scared to make one :)

angel said...

Wow, i'm loving that Maisie what a cutie.
Have fun tomorrow with the icklie Baby.

Mwah X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
This much XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Elaine said...

I love the horse. Infact I think I have that pattern (unused) somewhere.
I must find it out when I'm free of mess.
The new baby is going to love her.

Well done with the blanket too, do you ever sleep at all?????????

Love and blessings
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

white o'morn cottage said...

I have one of those horses and did not know anything about it. Now I do...thanks...Pam