Thursday, 16 October 2008

Learn to crochet - tutorial part 1!

Hello lovely bloggers.

Now, so many of you said after my last post that you wished you could crochet, that it got me thinking. I felt a bit sad that you wished you could, and couldn't - because it's such a lovely and relaxing hobby. So, I've taken some pictures of the start of the chain - the first bit of crochet. If this helps anybody to get going, let me know, and I'll post the next step. I realize lots of you can chain, and can't go further, but I thought I'd start with the basics and see if it helps at all.


The important thing is the way you hold the wool and crochet needle.


So, step one, make a slip knot about 5 inches or so from the end of the wool and slip it over the crochet needle, and tighten. Not too much - you need to be able to slip the hook
through it.

Now wrap the wool (the bit with the end going to the ball of wool) around your little finger on your left hand once. Then pass it over your next three fingers, and hold it between your index finger and thumb just below the slip knot. See below how I'm holding the crochet needle in my right hand. The wool coming below my thumb and index finger is the 5 inch end, held out of the way.



Now take the needle under the wool and grab it with the hook.

You now pull this strand through the slip knot.

You've made your first chain!
So now the same again... dip your right hand to take the crochet hook under the wool (from left to right) and pick up the wool again.


Ease it through the first chain, using your left hand to guide it through.

If you're having trouble with crochet, you need to practise with long chains to get the rhythm. I promise it's worth it.

There you go - if that helps, I'll post the next bit. Let me know what you think. Excuse my hands - I've been sanding all day, so my nails are shot to pieces, and covered with horrible sanding dust, and when I've not sanded, I've been painting, so I have paint spatters here and there. So click on the pictures to enlarge them, but please ignore my nails - I do have a good excuse!

Haha - my blogging friend Lavenderhouse sent me to Attic24 who has also done a post on crocheting today... her pics are so fantastic, that mine should be binned immediately. But I'll leave it up in case it helps anyone. I think I'll go and eat some chocolate to cheer myself up right now! lol.

And if you've got this far, then help yourself to a cake!

17 comments:

Primrose Corner said...

Thank you so much for the cake - how did you know I love smarties. Thanks for putting together the tutorial. I love all things crochet. How did you photograph your own hands? That's an art in itself.

April said...

I can do the chain, it's double crochet where I get stuck!

Yummy cake!

April xx

Lace hearts said...

Hi Primrose corner - hmmm, I just knew! lol. As to photographing my own hands, well, that's where a 12 year old comes in!
Hi April - okay, I'll get along to double crochet soon. I'm sure most can do the chain. If you can, then double crochet is easy.

http://lavenderhouse.typepad.com said...

Good tutorial. Attic24 is doing a bit of one too - might be worth linking up to her so everyone has both to read! Hope you are well and have had an okish week - Love Emma x

angel said...

Right i have done the chain waznext ............
Thanks Lastic for the Tut your a darling ........... will i be able to make a wooly quilt now ...... or do i have to wait for part two ....... :-)

MaryPoppins said...

Can I only have the yummy cakes :), I really am rubbish at crochet

Mary X

Kathryn said...

Just wanted to say love your posts, have followed for awhile, but not commented. You are so... talented.
Cheers
With Smiles
Kathryn x
Australia

Lace hearts said...

Hi Emma - lol, have taken a look, and left an appropriate comment on both your blogs. Goodness, I may as well give up now, that gal is so fab with her photography.
Angel - you have me roaring with laughter every time you type. Thank you. xxx
Mary - of course, take your pick, only Primrose corner nabbed one! ;-)
Hi Kathryn - how lovely to meet someone new. Thanks for commenting, and making such a lovely comment as well. x

TattingChic said...

MMMMmmmmm thanks for the cake! Lucky you to have someone take photos of your hands while you crochet...or have someone to crochet while you take photos, LOL!

Attic24 said...

oh your pictures are fantastic, don't put yourself down!!
My photos are closeup but I couldn't show how I was holding the hook because I was taking the pic with my hook-holding hand lol (must try and get a tripod thingy and work out the timer on camera).
I was teaching someone to crochet for the first time on Monday, its SOooo much easier when you can show them...she picked it up right away and we made a flower together, she was really chuffed!

We need to spread the Crochet-love, keep coming with the tutorials, they are great!

second wind said...

Very generous with all those smarties, thank you.
Your tut is very clear Lace so please continue with part 2 etc. I used to crochet when I was little but haven't done any since. Maybe you've persuaded me to take it up again so keep going with it please.

fiftiesgirl said...

Im gonna give this a try later . Thanks sooo much for posting. x

MelMel said...

Good post.....i might have to have a go! tho i know i'll be rubbish!
Last time i had to crochet, it was a babies bonnet....it was awful...poor baby, it was too tight....put me right off....but i'm going to try!
Maybe we will get to meet up with Angel then.....i bet you would have loved last night!
Chocolate torte was fab!
Mary and Lesley are wonderful!xxx

dancingonabladeofgrass said...

I'm waiting for instalment 2 of the crochet tutorial... so I can see EXACTLY where the hook goes!!!

Hope by now you can post a comment on me blog!

white o'morn cottage said...

Thanks for that. I bought a set of crochet hooks a while ago and some wool. I never got around to trying it but I will now. Your pictures and text is very easy to follow...ta very much...Pam

Trish said...

I spy with my little eye.................................................party rings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oooohhhhhhh my absolute faves, am such a big kid at heart :)
I will be watching for your next crochet tutorial hunny, thank you *mwah*

Hen said...

I'm at the triple crochet stage so all beginners' comments very welcome! I'm dying to get onto granny squares but I can't make head nor tail of the instructions!

Hen x