Saturday, 18 October 2008

Learn to crochet - Part 2 Double crochet

Well, I hope this helps somebody, because it's taken an age to take the pics and upload them. I say I hope, but I'm not sure how helpful it will be as there's nothing like somebody sitting next to you and showing you. But let's give it a go. I have tried to be really careful in creating the sequence, but it's taken an age and I'm tired and a bit all over the place cos of too many birthday parties/cakes to make/pressies to buy etc etc, so if I have gone out of sequence let me know - and huge apologies. The text instructions are right.
So earlier this week I posted about making chains. Assuming everybody's fine with that...

this is what you can build with chains and double crochet - and it's what I'm currently making lots of for my blanket.


So you begin by making the centre, which will look like this...Look closely and you can see that it's made up of four lots of three double crochets, each separated by two chains.

Holding the hook and wool as before, do a chain of four.


Now you need to make a circle, by taking the hook through the first chain, picking up the wool and pulling it through. Then slip the stitch on the crochet hook over the wool you have pulled through. You have a circle.

Now you're going to make those double crochets...
1. Hook the crochet hook under the wool strand as if for a chain. It gives two strands on the crochet hook.

2. Now take the hook through the centre of the circle - this is a bit fiddly. If you prefer, make a 6-chain circle so it's easier to see what you're doing (all this means in the scheme of things is that the hole in the centre of your granny square will be slightly larger). Catch the strand of wool by passing the hook under the wool and hooking it!

3. ...and bring it back through the circle's centre. You'll have 3 strands on the hook...



Hook the strand of wool, again as if making a chain, and bring it under the first two strands on the hook - they slide off the hook. Hook the wool again, just as if for a chain, and slip it under the last two strands on the hook. One double crochet made.


Now you repeat all that for the next double crochet. Yarn over hook, as if for a chain. Hook through the centre hole you created by joining the initial 4 chains in a circle. Pick up the yarn as if you are chaining. Bring it back through the circle. Yarn over hook. Pass this over the first two strands on the hook. Yarn over, and pass this yarn over the last two strands. Second double crochet made.

Here's a series of pictures taken as I continued. You need to make three double crochets. Then chain two (to go on to make the centre of your granny square), then three more double crochets. But I'll go on with that once I'm reassured that anybody out there has a clue what I'm on about? If you click on the pics, they'll get bigger which may help. Again, apologies for my fingernails/hands - I am painting and decorating. Got to the F & B Dimity stage now, so very exciting!











Here you can see I've completed the first two double crochets:

Do note that America and Australia term differently to the UK. A single in the US is a double in the UK. Their double is our treble. Etc. So I'm showing you the UK double crochet stitch. Just to add to the confusion!

Right, gotta get back to 7 year old's - to be 8 year old - cake! Toodles!

16 comments:

MelMel said...

Hello!
your so cool for doing this....lots of ppl will benfit from it!
I'm cooking up a feast in the kitchen...bangers n mustard mash...went to the farm shop out in Cheshire today....yummy!
Smells good!
Shares?
xxx

Elizabethd said...

You do that so well. I know how easy your tutorial on bag making was to follow.
I dont need to learn to crochet but if I did, it would be simple to follow you.

Trish said...

thank you sweetie, when I am finished on these flippin' dishcloths I will give it another go xxx

Sal said...

I think that's brilliant.
I just could have done with it about four months ago, when I was trying to teach my mum and my sister to crochet!! (Nightmare!!)
;-)

angel said...

Wow Wow i just sat here and done one of those, its the first time i have actually made something.... WOW..Yippeeeee....... your step by step instructions are WOW ....... thank you so much lastic for taking the time to show how much you care.
Your a diamond [a rough diamond it has to be said, but nevertheless a diamond] did you know a diamond is an old bit of coal? im not saying your an old bit of coal im just saying] >>>>>>>>>>>> legging it just in case >>>>>>>>>>>>> LOL.

Hugs and much love. Mwah
X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X

MelMel said...

How is Lacey today?
Hope you have had s super weekend?
I'm getting more and more tempted to have crack at crochet!xx

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Oh I am so impressed! My australian step grandmother in law( complecated I know) once taught me to crochet but I have forgotten how! My youngest (8) foudn an old hok of mine and I wasnt sure how to do itanymore but now I shall have to learn all over again!!

Thank you..

Lace hearts said...

Thanks all - I'll have to post a picture of the blanket, cos it's growing.

angel said...

See what you have done now Lastic, you have a whole nation Crocheting.

Hope you have a wonderful day filled with love and goodness.
Mwah X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
and a whole load more.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x

angel said...

Oh and i cant find the blimmin Cake Photies, but your are so gorgeous that i'm glad i couldnt find them really. X x X x X x X x X

MelMel said...

Your very welcome to join in!
All correct guesses will be entered.....:>)))
Yes please to the muffin!
xxxx

Lesley (Notesfrommydays) said...

how fab are you for doing that thank you so much as crochet is on my "to do" list (its a long list) so i have asked for stuff for xmas! at least i know where to come for my instructions now :-)
Lesley x

Josie-Mary said...

These are really good instrutions, how clever are you? I'm so glad you got a duvet cover too, I didn't know they were still selling it at CK. Thought they might be seconds at TKMaxx 'cos I don't understand how they can sell them so cheap. :) x

Primrose Corner said...

Wow! This must take you ages. I've not crocheted in an age and now I feel as if I should pick it up again what with long dark evenings. Thanks for the inspiration.

Hen said...

It's going to be my project to try this next week during half term so thanks for taking what must have been an age to write and photograph all this. Failing that, I'm going to be knocking on your door because I agree, one to one is soooo much easier and I just don't get that in my class, there's about 12 of us.
Hen x

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

My mum has been wanting to teach me how to crochet... but... I`m a bit unsure about it!
As it looks to complicated!
Thanks for sharing!
Kisses & hugs
Debbie Moss