Sunday, 14 September 2008

Humphrey Lyttelton

I adored Humphrey Lyttelton from early childhood. I was fed a steady diet of Humph jazz, any jazz in fact, all through, because of my wonderful dad, who was a big fan.

I watched a programme about him a couple of nights ago, and it reminded me of the happiness he brought to my childhood home, and the sadness I felt on his death earlier this year. He was born just a couple of months after my father, same year, and in terms of my dad's love for big band jazz and all the greats, Duke Ellington, etc, etc, and their silly senses of humour, their love for life, and their positive outlook, they could almost have been twins. I remember going to a Humph gig in the 1980s in Putney. It was a fantastic evening, in a small pub. At the break, Dad met Humph in the men's. Humph appeared back for the second set, but not dad. In a very loud voice, Humph said
"I've been told if I have to begin this set on time, to play very loudly because one of our small audience is stuck in the loo." And he gave one of his famous stares. We laughed so much, when Dad walked back in to Humph's (very loud) accompaniment.
Dad met him three or four times altogether at different gigs, and each time found him genial if approached, and of course terribly funny.

We both became big fans of I'm sorry I haven't a Clue. What a programme that was! Though it was absolutely filthy in terms of the 'lovely Samantha'.

Anyway, bit of an odd post, because the programme made me think of my lovely dad. I was blessed with the kindest dad I could have had. I don't remember him once saying he didn't have time for me. He'd come home from work, and immediately settle down to be pulled around and dragged into endless games, and I don't remember him getting angry. I really don't. I simply don't know how he did it. That man didn't seem to get tired. But he had children later in life and saw us as God's blessing. We felt it, and although he's been dead some years, I still feel uplifted by it.

So, thank you, dad.

10 comments:

Elizabethd said...

Way back....when I was a student, I used to go to 100 Oxford St to Humph's club. It was always such a fun evening, and I saw some of the great names there. Happy memories!

dancingonabladeofgrass said...

What a beautiful post.

sharie said...

Lovely post. Memories are so sweet and make us what we are.

Elaine said...

I can only "ditto" the above.
It seems that just as your dad saw his children as God's blessings, he too was a blessing.

Love and blessings
xxxxxxxxx

white o'morn cottage said...

Wow! you lucky lucky woman. A truly lovely post and a tribute to your wonderful dad. Well done!

Lace hearts said...

Isn't it a small world, Elizabeth. I'm sure my dad went to his club as well. How funny that you could both have been there on the same evening!
Thank you all for your lovely comments. I wasn't sure whether to post this, but am glad I did.

angel said...

I agree with the comments, what a lovely post. Mwah

Where are you btw? missed you today.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Vintage to Victorian said...

Whilst I've never been a great fan of jazz I did love listening to 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue'!

What lovely memories you have.

Sue

Redwoodhouse said...

Hi Lace Hearts thanks for visiting, what a truly lovely blog made me think of my dad, he was a good one too aren't we lucky!!
Jan

second wind said...

Can only agree with everyone, a lovely post. I saw the programme too, what a lovely man he was.I have come to love jazz thanks to my DH's wonderful love of all types of music. We have lots and lots!!