Monday, 29 September 2008

Cushion update and Cath Kidston-esque curtains


Well, sorry for the delay in posting, but I've had a bit of a mare in trying to upload photos. I haven't managed to get all I wanted, but I wanted to blog about progress on the cushion...and my curtain find!

The cushion has a frill. I've never done frills before. I had to cut a piece of gingham 36 inches by 4 inches, and a floral pattern 36 inches by 8 inches. Then each is cut into four length ways, and the four strips from each joined - to form a floral strip that is 4 x 36 inches long by an inch wide, and a gingham strip 4 x 36 inch long that's 2 inches wide. Phew. Then one side of the strips has to be hemmed:

So that means folding it over and over again and ironing it and then doing the same to the other, and then hemming it. Lost the will yet?! I almost did. I don't even want to work out 36 x 8. All I know is it seems to go on for ever!
That's not the worst. I now have to cut a third - a larger frill. I've decided I may cheat and use a wide bit of lace if I can find something that suits!
Now, next I've got to run a double line of stitching on the long side opposite the hemmed edges to then gather them up so they fit around the cushion top. Good grief. As if I haven't got enough to be doing. Why on earth I challenged myself to this, I'll never know. Although I'm beginning to - it's in the back of my mind that this'll be for my mum's birthday. She'd better love it, that's all I can say!
I'll try and post another picture soon.

As to my curtains. I'm excited about this. These are the curtains the previous owners left and so they've been in place for ever. I have hated them with a passion.


I crumbled when I walked into a charity shop and saw these...


I now smile everytime I see them (though they don't really go with our walls - I need to chop off the pink, I think, because they have the pink at the top, and a thicker width of pink at the bottom).

I'm not sure, but I think these are a Cath Kidston design for Ikea. Any clues from anyone?

And does anybody collect Colcough bone china. I think I may have started. I found such a pretty pattern today in an antique fair, but just a few bits. I'll try and post a picture soon.

And a huge thank you to Melmel and Debbie at Debbie's English Treasures for passing on the Super Commentator Award to me. It's lovely of you both - I'll add your names at the side above the award. Big hugs.

22 comments:

MelMel said...

I think its the Rosalie fabric def ikea because my quilt/throw....from sis is the same, i also have the small cushion and the large cushion.....did Cath do this fabric for ikea? i don't know....i only found CK a few yrs back...certainly looks like one of hers?

They are lovely!
Match my bedroom a treat!
xxxxxx

angel said...

Oh i really reallllly love them Curt's, they are beautiful lacey, you lucky lucky fing you!
Mind you i have found lots of smashing curtains in the charity shops but never ever ones like that!

Hurry back Honey we miss you loads, and what do you need heating for anyhow??????

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This much
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Lavender hearts said...

Yes that is indeed the Rosali print and was designed by CK for Ikea. Good find! :-)

claire said...

Angle is right you are a lucky fing Xxx They are fabulous x I miss you 2 xxxxx

MelMel said...

Aha....better not tell my sis she will be so annoyed!
Thanks for that Sian!
I did wonder!
Well, so we have both done well!
Because that quilt playing the part of the posh curtain...is the blue colourway, just been up to look!
xxxxx

LittleGem said...

Lovely curtains lace! they match my duvet cover :D Have you posted these on the SCForum? Haven't seen them on there today xx

Lace hearts said...

Thank you all, and thanks for confirming it Sian. Melmel - does your sister have a blog?! Tee hee! You do make me laugh. Angel - it's getting cold, so I had to come in and get the papering done! Thank you for missing me, and you too Claire.
Little Gem - no, I haven't had a chance. I will try to.

Lavender hearts said...

Thank you Lacey, I do try with the decorating and I find blogging about things makes me do them rather than be lazy! There are so few walls in my house that I can wallpaper. Most of the walls are either wood cladding or exposed brick, and the rest are hideous artex! I figured the only way to add a bit of pattern is to paper the odd bits I can! LOL

Looks like your cushion is coming along nicely, I don't know how you do it! I would hve thrown that at the wall by now and sworn...I find smaller sewing projects suit my personality better! LOL x

Lavender hearts said...

btw, i must find out what charity shop you go to!

Lavender hearts said...

hahaha, i don't believe it! i'll have to take a look next time Tim goes to the footie!

http://lavenderhouse.typepad.com said...

I was reading your blog and thought the first set of curtains was your thrift find - yuk! I was very relieved to find (as I should have expected) that you have very good taste and that you had found some great curtains - well done! Rosali pattern. I have a few bits of the old Ikea Cath Kidston stuff - also made a cover for my swing chair in the garden - it has rotted now and I have thrown it away - did that before the big revival - think I committed a big sin - whoops!

Love Emma xxxxx

What Kelly Did next...... said...

Oh i love those curtains, i have the same quilt/pillow set from Ikea - Rosali ones, i was considering putting them on ebay after seeing how much they go for but i just cant do it!

x

Country Bliss said...

What a lucky find they are beautiful curtains.
Yvonne

Knitty, Vintage and Rosy said...

Lovely curtains. They are definitely the Ikea rosali. I did seem them in a charity shop about a year ago and passed them up. What was I thinking?

Lovely blog. Will be dropping by again.

Lisa
Knitty, Vintage and Rosy

PS And thanks for peeking in at my bits and bobs ;)

MelMel said...

Yippee!
I'm so pleased for you! How great is that!!!!!!
Bargain!
Love it when that happens!
Look forward to seeing it all out!
Which bedroom is it for?
Just giving the girls some grapes while they watch TV after tea, nuzzle and scratch.....dreadful program but they love it!
Then Jess my niece has her spellings to do!
bless her!
xxxxx

Elizabethd said...

gorgeous fabric, so much nicwer that the previous! I think it is CK also.
The cushion is looking good! I have put a link on my last blog re the bag tutorial.
Do pop over and see the giveaway that a friend of mine is hosting, it's on my blog.

TattingChic said...

The fabric you got is really pretty. I take it that Cath Kidston to my British friends is what Laura Ashley is to us over here across the pond, right? It is lovely stuff! So, your heart cushion is coming along.

Josie said...

yes they are Ikea and I can't wait for the next update of the cushion,yes I agree blogging about things mean you have to finish them errmm,is that 5 or 6 things I need to finish now!
Josie x

Lace hearts said...

Thank you all. Thank you for doing that ElizabethD.
I agree that blogging is a good way to actually get things done Josie - it's speeding me up on the cushion!
Thank you for dropping in Tatting chic. Yes, I think we all go a little bit mad over here for Cath Kidston, though she is available over there, and is cheaper which makes me cross cos I was looking last night at her US site, but they won't sent it over here! But then again, I think Laura Ashley is also very popular over here.

http://lavenderhouse.typepad.com said...

Hello

Dont kid yourself you do loads of stuff really - it is just not necessarily that interesting a lot of the time. I read abeachcottage quite a lot. I dont know how the woman does it - she seems to be a human dynamo. I think the secret is to paint something and everyone thinks it took ages. When we were renovating our house the only time something seemed to move on was when a wall got painted - it didnt matter how much wiring was done or plumbing. I reckon most of our time is spent doing the behind the scenes work.

The cushion material is Designers Guild. I love Tricia Guild stuff. I visit the London store once or twice a year. I tend to buy in their sale as everything is mighty expensive but you cannot beat the colour combination, depth etc It would be my dream job to design for them - oh well may be next time in another reincarnation!

Love Emma x

Primrose Corner said...

Love the curtain find. That fabric has to be CK - her style stands out doesn't it! I'd have to remove that pink too, if only so that my dear husband would let me keep them.

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

HELLO SWEET CAROLINE,
I`M NOW ACCEPTING YOUR LOVELY COMMENTS AND I`M HOSTING A COMPETITION TOO!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ENTER!
I LOVE YOUR NEW CURTAINS... AND CAN`T WAIT TO SEE YOUR FINISHED CUSHION!
SORRY, NO PRESSURE THERE! LOL
KISSES
TO YOU AND YOUR 3 TREASURES
FROM DEBBIE & ALAN.

P.S- I LIKE YOUR NEW PICS ON YOUR SIDE BAR!
IT DOES BRIGHT YOUR BLOG BEAUTIFULLY!
IF YOU NEED ANY HELP... DO GIVE US A SHOUT!