Friday, 9 May 2008

Re: Patchwork wall

I have so many things I want to blog about: I can see a post a day will be an easy challenge at the moment. But I think it's time I blogged about my patchwork wall. This is something I am incredibly proud of, as it kind of set me off on my current love of patching together and making do. I was inspired by the wonderful Vintage Pleasure and her patchwork wall here.
She was inspired by a book - I can't remember the title, but will try and find it as I wanted to buy it but ended up with the wrong one.

I'd had a few wallpaper samples as we are trying to decide on wallpaper for my eldest daughter's bedroom, but my middle daughter loved the patchwork effect. I was lucky enough to walk into Laura Ashley when they were selling off some rolls for a £1, so I also snapped three up. Then I set to cutting out, using a picture frame to square off as I haven't got a set square. I cut to random sizes and then popped them on the wall in small areas with blu tac to see the effect, before pasting them on (with wallpaper paste).

The whole thing took about 3 hours, and was ready for my daughter's return from Brownie Camp. She was thrilled. Elder daughter now wants a similar effect! I also thought I'd use the technique on the inside of our understairs cupboard, but that's a little way in the future.


3 comments:

Trish said...

ooooh I love that idea, very pretty :) I will update hopefully today hun, just need some pics of my bargain finds from yesterday x

shabby chic said...

Hi thanks for visiting me, the patchwork wall looks great. Doing things up is great fun, and not buying things new is great !
We are collecting sofa on sunday, but I dont think i will be able to know fully if it stays till i see it in my home. If not I will pass it on again!. I love floral things anyway, the print is bigger than what I am used too!. Blog has been great for people helping with my dilemma!
take care x Dom

Lavender hearts said...

Wow, what a great idea. I thought I was thrifty (or cheeky) going into b&q and homebase and taking 2 metres of samples to use for my craft projects, but this is something else! :-)